remote.trace

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobotRon

27 Jan 2023

This is my first post so I hope I have put it in the right place. I am writing a codec for use with a Launch Control XL using Reason 12 and the remote SDK. The codec is working but not as I expected (not surprising as this is my first attempt) so I would like to add a simple trace to aid debugging as per the documentation. I have tried the following none of which produce any output in the codectest log.

remote.trace("Process midi")
remote.trace("current value : " .. g_knob_2_current_value)
remote.trace(tostring(g_knob_2_current_value))

Is the trace function still supported in reason 12/lua?

Have I completely misunderstood how the trace should work?

Does anyone have an example of a simple trace that works?

thanks

EnochLight

27 Jan 2023

RobotRon wrote:
27 Jan 2023
This is my first post so I hope I have put it in the right place.
Mod note: Welcome to Reasontalk! I moved this to the appropriate sub-forum. Good luck!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

crimsonwarlock

28 Jan 2023

I have a LaunchControl XL, so I'm interested in this. I can't help you with your question right now, as I haven't done any codec scripting myself (yet), but I can test things on my side if you like.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

rmtcvolte

28 Jan 2023

RobotRon wrote:
27 Jan 2023

remote.trace(tostring(g_knob_2_current_value))

Is the trace function still supported in reason 12/lua?
This should work, but if I remember correct the trace function does no longer work with the latest version of codectest.exe. If you are on Win I could send you an older one.

RobotRon

29 Jan 2023

I am currently using a Mac but can dust off my laptop so if you could send me the windows one that works that would be great.

thanks

enigma_0z

19 Jun 2023

Bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm having a similar issue... well two issues really.

The main issue I'm trying to debug is that remote won't certain change control messages that'd display a character on my synth's screen. It's really weird, but it seems that whenever the checksum byte is 18 (0x12 hex) I get an error in remote codectest that says that "Data inside sysex midi bits must be 8 bits".

If I manually code in the message (e.g. remote.make_midi("F0 41 7F 00 00 00 52 12 01 00 00 00 6D 12 F7")) it works as expected, so I know it's not my controller at fault, most likely its my code. But I'm not really sure what to make of it.

The second issue, and why I'm here -- In the process of debugging this issue, I tried the good ol' debug print method (using remote.trace()) but it additionally seems that this never actually prints anything to the remote logs.

I'm on an M1 Macbook pro, and the synth in question is a Roland AX-Edge, if it matters. Reason 12 and the latest download of the codec tester.

EnochLight

19 Jun 2023

enigma_0z wrote:
19 Jun 2023
Bringing this thread back from the dead,
Welcome to Reasontalk! Looks like the OP - RobotRon - disappeared after 2 posts, so hopefully you'll stick around. Good luck with your issue!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information