The power of NNXT according to MPC heads ...

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2022

I've noticed a completely different attitude to the samplers among MPC users (at least on mpc-forums).

They aren't impressed with large sample libraries (or even the recently added Air Fabric rompler).

To them, a sample is a sample, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you used a 30 GB orchestral instrument with key switching or a smaller auto-sampled patch of it.

This echoes a lot of what Patrick Fridh said regarding his libraries (mainly when stressing the power of the Combinator and NNXT versus the large Kontakt libraries).

I'm not going to pretend there's not a huge difference. With key switching and scripting, you can get some really realistic play in real-time with variation between notes, etc.

But there is a benefit that's far too easy to overlook.

You can sample an instrument with your own chain of effects and modifications to the patch to suit your own sound.

I am yet to adopt this myself, but every once in a while it's good to switch up your workflow and experiment.

I have made little patches from recordings of my own playing or sections of my tracks, but I just thought I'd put this out there ...

QVprod

26 Nov 2022

Yep, the Kontakt style stuff is only a big deal when you want something real sounding. The average beat maker though doesn’t care about all of that as long as it sounds good.

As far as Patrick though, I think there’s a trade off between capability and selling a product. I’m surprised he hasn’t at least done any Combi 2 stuff since RE was off the table for him. I got to really see how powerful Reason is while doing some of the R12 patches.

• Information