Rockwool or Fiberglass? (Insulation & Sound absorbtion)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC
Posts: 1475
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 17 Nov 2022

I'm considering treating about 50% (2 walls and the ceiling) of my planned vocal recording / studio room.

Both insulation and sound absorbtion are important.

Some furniture would further help further with the sound, and a gobo/sound shield would help making the recording drier.

The treated wall would be behind me, and the gobo in front of me. Unless I should just perform towards the treated walls, and not use a gobo at all?

But the main question would be, whether rockwool would be a must, or does the bit cheaper fiberglass do the trick for sound? Probably the 150 mm thickness is better.

Also, which is better for insulation?

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8422
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
I'm considering treating about 50% (2 walls and the ceiling) of my planned vocal recording / studio room.

Both insulation and sound absorbtion are important.

Some furniture would further help further with the sound, and a gobo/sound shield would help making the recording drier.

The treated wall would be behind me, and the gobo in front of me. Unless I should just perform towards the treated walls, and not use a gobo at all?

But the main question would be, whether rockwool would be a must, or does the bit cheaper fiberglass do the trick for sound? Probably the 150 mm thickness is better.

Also, which is better for insulation?
In terms of insulation rock wool and fiberglass will do pretty much the same job of keeping you warm. Both will also give you a rash and make you cough. Take it from one who knows. Just use old egg boxes and quilts like the rest of us.
丰2ॐ

RobC
Posts: 1475
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 17 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
I'm considering treating about 50% (2 walls and the ceiling) of my planned vocal recording / studio room.

Both insulation and sound absorbtion are important.

Some furniture would further help further with the sound, and a gobo/sound shield would help making the recording drier.

The treated wall would be behind me, and the gobo in front of me. Unless I should just perform towards the treated walls, and not use a gobo at all?

But the main question would be, whether rockwool would be a must, or does the bit cheaper fiberglass do the trick for sound? Probably the 150 mm thickness is better.

Also, which is better for insulation?
In terms of insulation rock wool and fiberglass will do pretty much the same job of keeping you warm. Both will also give you a rash and make you cough. Take it from one who knows. Just use old egg boxes and quilts like the rest of us.
Gee, thanks for the info! I guess I better avoid them. At least definitely not the way they are without some coating. I heard of the irritation they can do.

I guess I'll have to stick to using a hanging cloud above me, maybe some sound proofing/absorbing fake wall behind me, and a gobo in front. Luckily, they are still available (for now).

Current egg prices are crazy. And they say they don't work.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 1125
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 17 Nov 2022

I’ve built a couple of sound isolation rooms. Stud walls stuffed with rock wool does a great job. Make sure you get a good seal on the door, makes a big difference.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8422
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022


In terms of insulation rock wool and fiberglass will do pretty much the same job of keeping you warm. Both will also give you a rash and make you cough. Take it from one who knows. Just use old egg boxes and quilts like the rest of us.
Gee, thanks for the info! I guess I better avoid them. At least definitely not the way they are without some coating. I heard of the irritation they can do.

I guess I'll have to stick to using a hanging cloud above me, maybe some sound proofing/absorbing fake wall behind me, and a gobo in front. Luckily, they are still available (for now).

Current egg prices are crazy. And they say they don't work.
Just think of all the omelettes you can make trying.
Is it just for vocals or what? Get one of those big spongy filter contraptions that clamp to your mic stand. Or get a really directional mic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MrFigg on 17 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 2369
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 17 Nov 2022

rockwool is a little denser and thus more absobent and less itchy in comparison to fiberglass. Still you want to have both covered with some thick cotton cloth or absorber foam so the little particles don't rain down on you. Also there are special varieties of both for acoustic insulation. Those are a bit more expensive, but only by a little.
Last edited by jam-s on 18 Nov 2022, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10563
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 17 Nov 2022

I'd suggest a free consultation with GIK, then a trip to their DIY shop:
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-ca ... 4dEALw_wcB
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1842
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 17 Nov 2022

Unless you are a chamber choir or an extremely loud rock singer you can get a long way with one of those shields that clamp onto a mic stand and a duvet hanging behind you.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 3146
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 17 Nov 2022

This stuff costs more but not itchy. Plus you can stuff it tightly, which helps with the acoustic though not with the thermal properties.
https://inhabitat.com/recycled-blue-jea ... ded-logic/
Vlad the Installer 🧂

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 1125
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 18 Nov 2022

Just to note, Rock wool isn’t as itchy as old fibreglass insulation. If you handle it with gloves and long sleeves and a dust mask it isn’t unpleasant to work with. But it is meant to go inside walls not just draped around. It’s a construction material.

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1708
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 18 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022
MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022


In terms of insulation rock wool and fiberglass will do pretty much the same job of keeping you warm. Both will also give you a rash and make you cough. Take it from one who knows. Just use old egg boxes and quilts like the rest of us.
Current egg prices are crazy. And they say they don't work.
Well they don't. They might do some diffusion, but they most certainly don't do absorption, wich is what you need at lower frequencies. And even diffusion only works to some degree.

Also, Rockwool is not as itchy and will only give youb a rash if you leave them open air wich you don't at any kind of application. So, if you use it with heavy dense stashes (70 kg/m3 or denser), and use back and front burlap so that it doesn't get in contact with your studio air, you just have to be carefull managing it while constructing your bass traps. FiberGlass is a known health hazard, so i'd stick away from it, though i've read good things about it's absorving capabilities even against rockwool. but... Better be safe than sorry.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10563
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 18 Nov 2022

motuscott wrote:
17 Nov 2022
This stuff costs more but not itchy. Plus you can stuff it tightly, which helps with the acoustic though not with the thermal properties.
https://inhabitat.com/recycled-blue-jea ... ded-logic/
I’ve heard there are limited supplies these days, your link is from 2006!
Good to read up on the pros/cons online on places like this:
https://www.builddirect.com/blog/denim- ... d-the-bad/
https://www.thespruce.com/denim-insulat ... ns-5116610
https://enviromom.com/recycled-denim-insulation/

If you’re REALLY interested in the subject of acoustics, join this excellent Reddit: r/Acoustics.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC
Posts: 1475
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 18 Nov 2022

Thank you all very much for the responses!

@Jackjackdaw Basically, this room is so quiet, I can hear my ears ring, nothing else. It's rather the room echoes and reverb that is annoying.
And thanks for the info on rockwool! Looks like I can't just glue it on the wall as I thought. x D

@MrFigg Omlettes? I rather beat the meat and bread it. : ) Eggs are becoming precious here. (I'm talking about food!)
Yes, I still just want to record vocals. Maybe showing off my LinnDrum "beatboxing" imitation - which can get pretty bassy; although if it needs more serious treatment, I can still go with just lighter treatment for vocals. However, for what it is, I'd like to record professional material.
And yep, that's what I meant by sound shield/gobo. Do they also help with keeping the sound inside? : ) So if I scream towards the door with the gobo in front of me, it will also be a bit less audible, right?

@jam-s I was hoping to find something that keeps the room warmer, makes it sound dry, and won't choke me, all in one. But coating can increase the price quite a bit. I gotta figure out something fairly quickly...

@selig The main issue is that my country has limited possibilities. So basically, construction stores, like OBI, is what I have to rely on.
I read on that Gearsl*ts website, that a treated corner is the spot to perform. Then the hanging cloud above, and maybe a gobo. My idea would be to perform in the opposite direction, using a gobo.
Maybe I should draw my idea sometime.
Reddit could be worth checking out ~ I just hoped there's some simple solution to discuss here first.
Yes, I do want a clean and efficient recording, but chances are, this will be temporary.

@DaveyG I was thinking of using those pyramid shaped diffuser/absorber sponges on the wall behind me; unless it's overkill. I can get a bit loud though, now and then. : )

@motuscott Ah, we don't have such in this country either. x D

@mcatalao Hmm, if I understand correctly the male voice gets pretty deep, so I need both diffusion and perhaps some absorbtion.
But on second thought, can even a loud and deep rap create so much bass that it would need a bass trap?

RobC
Posts: 1475
Joined: 10 Mar 2018

Post 19 Nov 2022

MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022
RobC wrote:
17 Nov 2022


Gee, thanks for the info! I guess I better avoid them. At least definitely not the way they are without some coating. I heard of the irritation they can do.

I guess I'll have to stick to using a hanging cloud above me, maybe some sound proofing/absorbing fake wall behind me, and a gobo in front. Luckily, they are still available (for now).

Current egg prices are crazy. And they say they don't work.
Just think of all the omelettes you can make trying.
Is it just for vocals or what? Get one of those big spongy filter contraptions that clamp to your mic stand. Or get a really directional mic.
Would this do the trick for starters? I know nothing about shields, other than the basics, like what they do.

https://www.hangszerdiszkont.hu/lewitz- ... rofonokhoz

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 10563
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 19 Nov 2022

Rob, the most valuable advice I received with starting down this path was to create/purchase a few panels and start trying them in different positions. In other words, don’t decide where they all should be - YET. Yes, there are some positions that always work, like the first reflection points to the left, right, and above the listening position (for mixing). I started there but also got a few free standing panels I use all the time in different positions - currently they are positioned around the drum kit for a dry “70s” sound. Having some flexibility (you don’t always want a dead OR live sound) is super helpful, and allows you to do comparison tests (essential to finding the sweet spots).
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 8422
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 19 Nov 2022

RobC wrote:
19 Nov 2022
MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2022


Just think of all the omelettes you can make trying.
Is it just for vocals or what? Get one of those big spongy filter contraptions that clamp to your mic stand. Or get a really directional mic.
Would this do the trick for starters? I know nothing about shields, other than the basics, like what they do.

https://www.hangszerdiszkont.hu/lewitz- ... rofonokhoz
Yeah. That’s the type of thing.
丰2ॐ

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], crimsonwarlock and 4 guests