Zvork Volt SL-1 midi triggering

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

02 Oct 2022

I am trying to trigger the SL-1 (https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... volt-sl-1/) via midi keyboard, I want to trigger a rack instrument and have the SL-1 move some of its parameters at each trigger and I'm not sure I can do that. It is supposed to be for live performance so I am hoping it can be done.

Say I had a Thor, I want to trigger it via midi keyboard, and using the SL-1 I also want to move the filter frequency back a little each time it is triggered. How would I set this up? Using an RPG-8 I can receive and split the midi - one for triggering the Thor and the other for triggering the 'set' on the SL-1 to move the filter frequency. The issue I find is getting the SL-1 to start from a preferred position, and move to another position with each midi trigger - then back to the start again so the next trigger does the same thing.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas appreciated, maybe another RE can do this?

jam-s

02 Oct 2022

The task which you describe sounds like a job for the free MidiTapper and ModStepper.

challism

02 Oct 2022

I've got this RE, and sadly/embarrassingly, I've never had the patience to really figure it out. I'd love to see a good tutorial video that shows how to use it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

03 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
02 Oct 2022
The task which you describe sounds like a job for the free MidiTapper and ModStepper.
Miditapper is insanely comprehensive for what I wanted to do, really cool!

I was kinda hoping to control a bunch of parameters without being note specific on the keyboard, I am yet to figure this out but still getting through the video, I will look at Modstepper next, thank you!! :)

Jagwah

03 Oct 2022

challism wrote:
02 Oct 2022
I've got this RE, and sadly/embarrassingly, I've never had the patience to really figure it out. I'd love to see a good tutorial video that shows how to use it.
The concept is not to difficult to grasp, probably looks a bit overwhelming but it is a joy to use. It's cool when you control parameters on a few different devices with it (makes me wish we could see automation movement on everything in Reason), you set things like filter frequencies on your devices to a certain point using the SL-1, then you change the 'set' on the SL-1 and change those frequency settings etc, then you can morph between these 'sets' in user definable ways. Might be cool for movement in a pad or drone sound and probably loads more ;)

crimsonwarlock

03 Oct 2022

Jagwah wrote:
03 Oct 2022
The concept is not to difficult to grasp, probably looks a bit overwhelming but it is a joy to use.
Damn'it, now I want it :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Eski

04 Oct 2022

There's another tutorial here, for anyone interested in Volt SL1 https://www.reasonexperts.com/zvork-volt-sl1.html

Jagwah

04 Oct 2022

Eski wrote:
04 Oct 2022
There's another tutorial here, for anyone interested in Volt SL1 https://www.reasonexperts.com/zvork-volt-sl1.html
It is really cool and it breeds creativity imo, great tool to have in your arsenal!! :puf_smile:

Eski

04 Oct 2022

Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022
Eski wrote:
04 Oct 2022
It is really cool and it breeds creativity imo, great tool to have in your arsenal!! :puf_smile:
I do have it but like challism, I've just not got round to learning it properly and I keep forgetting I have it. Maybe I'll set myself the mission of incorporating it into my next couple of tracks I do ;)

Jagwah

04 Oct 2022

Eski wrote:
04 Oct 2022
Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022

I do have it but like challism, I've just not got round to learning it properly and I keep forgetting I have it. Maybe I'll set myself the mission of incorporating it into my next couple of tracks I do ;)
I think I meant that encouraging comment for crimsonwarlock but it's all good. Crimson if you see this - get SL-1 it's great!! :)

I rarely use CV in my work now, it's just that when I get inspired by an idea involving CV it's excellent and fun to have the tools there. I feel like Props almost phased out CV and probably with good intention - those kiddies today DAW shopping do not want to see complex looking things, heck, we are at the beginning of pre-made lego assembly music catching on, combine it with mumble rap and kiddies can make music with no talent / skill / education - I can see the appeal there which has a lot to do with perpetuating it imo.

crimsonwarlock

05 Oct 2022

Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022
I think I meant that encouraging comment for crimsonwarlock but it's all good. Crimson if you see this - get SL-1 it's great!! :)
I added it to my list of things to get someday, meaning I'll wait for black friday (or any other zvork sale) :puf_bigsmile:
Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022
I rarely use CV in my work now,
All the CV routing power is one of the things that drew me to Reason. I came from Reaper, which is a routing powerhouse on its own, but it is clumsy and cumbersome in comparison to Reason.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Jagwah

07 Oct 2022

jam-s wrote:
02 Oct 2022
Thanks again for the speedy suggestions, Speo's Frame CV Generator ended up a bit more suited for my exact needs. :thumbup:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... generator/

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Oct 2022
Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022
I added it to my list of things to get someday, meaning I'll wait for black friday (or any other zvork sale) :puf_bigsmile:
Jagwah wrote:
04 Oct 2022
I rarely use CV in my work now,
All the CV routing power is one of the things that drew me to Reason. I came from Reaper, which is a routing powerhouse on its own, but it is clumsy and cumbersome in comparison to Reason.
Certainly a fun device to own. I love CV in Reason and also how it interacts with my hardware, but I can see now how it may not be necessary for everyone and why Props can't push it so much in a crowded DAW market.

challism

07 Oct 2022

I finally sat down and made myself figure this RE out and it's really cool. Thanks to everyone in this thread for inspiring me to finally figure this out. It's not as complicated as it seems.

challism

08 Oct 2022

Billy+ posted a bunch of different Pattern Mutator rhythms in a thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7529538&p=620092#p620092

I figured these rhythm patches were a good opportunity to put VoltSL1 to use. I stacked 8 of these rhythm-loaded PatMuts - all set to run a high hat sample - above a Redrum. VoltSL1 is randomly turning the PatMuts on and off (randomization is tweakable via the LFO) - or you can switch thru the different PatMuts by turning the Combi's "pattern" knob. Kind of fun to get some variation. Thought I would share it here.

Patch requires Pattern Mutator and Volt SL1
PatMutRthm+VoltSL1.zip
(10.33 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Here's the first patch I built after figuring out Volt yesterday. It's just running some random stock DrRex drum loops. Nothing special (far from special), but it's a patch that shows how to use it/how it's wired to DrRex. I thought it might be a useful patch for anyone who is struggling with using this device.
VoltSL1+8 DrRex.zip
(8.37 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Jagwah

10 Oct 2022

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Information