Selig Audio August Live Stream Thursday Aug 4 20:00 UTC

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

Post 04 Aug 2022

Hi again, time for another live stream ramble, and this time it's gonna get technical. Math and stuff. And in Reason!

https://youtube.com/user/SeligAudio

I will explore a recent Combinator I built (dynamic reverb effect) using a different approach to having an audio signal modulate a knob/fader. Normally you set your knob in the 'starting' position, then add modulation by percent, increasing until you hit the desired sweet spot. In this common approach we don't actually know exactly how high the modulation is causing the knob's parameter to go, we set it by ear. But what if you already knew how far you wanted it to travel? Wouldn't it be easier in this case to just set the start and end point for modulation rather than the start and depth percentage?

That's where this second approach to modulation comes in handy. With the typical approach outlined above, the two controls are the initial setting of the parameter being modulated, and the depth control. In this new approach you still have the knob for the initial level, but instead of a depth control you have a 'destination' control. This allows you to define the exact setting the modulation will be at when at it's max, rather than some arbitrary percentage of the original modulation signal.

In the live stream we'll be looking at a real example, dynamic decay on a reverb, and I'll show you how I worked my way from initial idea to final implementation. Join me for the live stream in a few hours or catch up later!

Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

Post 04 Aug 2022

Sounds interesting, most likely at least gonna listen while working.

moofi

Post 04 Aug 2022

At least assuming it already started, how can I find the actual livestream?

EDIT: I see, two more hours to go :-D

selig
RE Developer

Post 04 Aug 2022

Going live in five yall…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

moofi

Post 04 Aug 2022

Very nice stream and very nice Combinator :thumbs_up:
That´s exactly the area of math I like to fiddle in aswell :-D
Looking forward to its release.

Signature quote btw "Yes, I got it all in one Thor" :-D

Regarding the "hidden" knob why don´t you simply just hide the knob by placing it within the hidden units of a bigger Combinator?

In the beginning you mentioned the summing of CV or using the control knob input, then while certainly valid, the modulation via the control knob input results in stepped modulation (MIDI-values) and thus differs from using the Combinator´s CV-inputs.

Anyway, like said looking forward and also thank you for streaming.

• Information