Master EQing fail... (UPDATE: example song + mastering walkthrough)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2022

Just read this, easy to check so I did:

"The maximizer as gain boost

I haven't thought of the compressor's boost; though they say, no matter how little, or even zero work the compressor is doing, it constantly changes the sound. I didn't do a null test. So I was only 100% sure and safe with the Maximizer and the limiter button off."

And, no. There is no change to the signal as long as it's below the threshold or the ratio is 1:1
Both devices provide exactly the same cut/boost amounts, so it would be down to CPU hit (not sure there's a dif there either) or down to good old personal preference!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2022

Jagwah wrote:
07 Jul 2022
I passed this on to Benedict who made it into one of his mix / master walk through videos. You can probably learn a lot from what he explains, I certainly have from this series! :)

Did anyone else notice the final mastered version peaks at -4 dBFS (or did I miss something obvious)?
I wonder why there is 4 dB unused headroom in the master, I'm going to have to say it's some sort of an oversight because I cannot believe it would be intentional…or maybe because brick wall mode is not engaged it's intentional?
@37:40 it's clear on the big meter.
Only other thing I could wonder is if the master fader is set to around -4 dB on the song file and this wasn't noticed? This would cause that exact scenario where the output of the mastering chain DOES reach close to 0 dBFS but the Big Meter (the final meter in Reason) only peaks at -4 dBFS.
Selig Audio, LLC

RobC

18 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
16 Jul 2022
Just read this, easy to check so I did:

"The maximizer as gain boost

I haven't thought of the compressor's boost; though they say, no matter how little, or even zero work the compressor is doing, it constantly changes the sound. I didn't do a null test. So I was only 100% sure and safe with the Maximizer and the limiter button off."

And, no. There is no change to the signal as long as it's below the threshold or the ratio is 1:1
Both devices provide exactly the same cut/boost amounts, so it would be down to CPU hit (not sure there's a dif there either) or down to good old personal preference!
Thanks for testing it! I should have thought of using the compressor back then; although the maximizer's 12 dB boost was usually enough. However, if the Maximizer's Limiter button is off, then the output gain can't be used.

Nowadays, I just used that kHs Gain RE.

Jagwah

27 Jul 2022

selig wrote:
16 Jul 2022
Did anyone else notice...
RobC wrote:
16 Jul 2022
Still nothing?
You guys don't come on here, huh? : P
I am always on here though sometimes I take breaks for various reasons.

Benedict is not really on here at all, I'm glad you took his video seriously and hope it was useful, and if you reply on his youtube or this video specifically you will find he is very responsive! :)

RobC

27 Jul 2022

Jagwah wrote:
27 Jul 2022
I am always on here though sometimes I take breaks for various reasons.

Benedict is not really on here at all, I'm glad you took his video seriously and hope it was useful, and if you reply on his youtube or this video specifically you will find he is very responsive! :)
Too bad, cause he used to be active on here. Things seem to have settled down here, and while the forum is not as active as it used to be (in my experience), it's become way friendlier. : )

But alright, I gotta make a youtube thing for real now, no more excuses. ~ Although I do have a basically empty facebook, too that I only made for Reason related groups, though it just inactively exists. x D

Jagwah

29 Jul 2022

RobC wrote:
27 Jul 2022
Too bad, cause he used to be active on here. Things seem to have settled down here, and while the forum is not as active as it used to be (in my experience), it's become way friendlier. : )

But alright, I gotta make a youtube thing for real now, no more excuses. ~ Although I do have a basically empty facebook, too that I only made for Reason related groups, though it just inactively exists. x D
Yeah good to have a Youtube account although it is Google so there's that annoyance, but then you can communicate with people when you want to etc. :thumbup:

• Information