March 2022 Selig Audio LiveStream

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2022

Deep Dive: signal routing basics, the four routing concepts all routing is built upon.

Time for another Selig LiveStream!
This month I'll do a deep dive on the basics of signal flow, break down another mix of new music, and cover any subject you may have questions about! If anyone is interested, I may also do a quick explanation of the math behind the Mid Side technique and why it works (and what to watch for).
Hope you'll join me 3pm EST, 20:00 UTC - will post a link here shortly before going live!

Post any suggestions or questions here if you got 'em.
Selig Audio, LLC

Baylo

09 Mar 2022

Apologies if I’m blind, Giles, but did you mention what day?

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

Apparently it is today.

Jagwah

10 Mar 2022

Woohoo!

crimsonwarlock

10 Mar 2022

visheshl wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Where is this stream being held and how do I join ?
https://www.youtube.com/user/SeligAudio
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

Oh crap, posted last night in a hurry and forgot to mention the day/date!
I'm trying to stick to second Thursday of each month, btw (for future reference). I have plenty planned, leaning toward a more technical day but starting with the basics.
Am also open to 'requests' and would eventually be open to things like a mix review segment where I attempt to show how I would address someone's mix in progress, or answering questions from the general to the very specific. If I can't get to it this month I'll schedule it for next month. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

visheshl

10 Mar 2022

Hey at least whenever you post about a live stream, post a link where people could join

visheshl

10 Mar 2022

How would new people know when and where to join...post the link to your livestream

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

visheshl wrote:
10 Mar 2022
How would new people know when and where to join...post the link to your livestream
Someone beat me to it, but I'm more than happy to post again!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SeligAudio
Starting in 15 minutes.
Can you tell I'm new to this?!?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

10 Mar 2022

Nice stream again, thanks for that. I posted a question, but I think you missed it in the chat: Can you give some more explanation about the Leveler-Gain combination trick you used in the project you were showing?

If you like, you can answer that in the next stream, if showing it live is more convenient.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Nice stream again, thanks for that. I posted a question, but I think you missed it in the chat: Can you give some more explanation about the Leveler-Gain combination trick you used in the project you were showing?

If you like, you can answer that in the next stream, if showing it live is more convenient.
So sorry, I get the 'deer in the headlights' thing sometimes, forgetting completely to check the chat feed!

Yes, the 'trick' involves feeding the peak detector CV output back to control the Recovery time in the same way you build an Auto Release circuit. The idea is basically this: when the signal peaks you want a faster recovery/release for the initial transient because it is coming back down quickly. But as the sound 'settles' it decays slower. Therefore, if you automatically adjust the release/recovery time with the input signal you can 'follow' the original envelope better.
This works better than a static setting in some cases, because if you set release slow it won't recover fast enough after a transient, but if you set it fast then it can sound 'jittery' as the sound decays. So this gives the best of both worlds, and allows you to get more control with less artifacts, if that makes sense.
Will certainly use this as a jumping off point for the next live stream, as it's a very handy technique and easy to do with most any compressor device in Reason!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

The song used in todays stream is available here:
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

10 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
10 Mar 2022
So sorry, I get the 'deer in the headlights' thing sometimes, forgetting completely to check the chat feed!
No problem, I can always ask you here. During the stream things can get lost in the chat as it has no indicator for what you have seen and what's new.
selig wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Yes, the 'trick' involves feeding the peak detector CV output back to control the Recovery time in the same way you build an Auto Release circuit. The idea is basically this: when the signal peaks you want a faster recovery/release for the initial transient because it is coming back down quickly. But as the sound 'settles' it decays slower. Therefore, if you automatically adjust the release/recovery time with the input signal you can 'follow' the original envelope better.
This works better than a static setting in some cases, because if you set release slow it won't recover fast enough after a transient, but if you set it fast then it can sound 'jittery' as the sound decays. So this gives the best of both worlds, and allows you to get more control with less artifacts, if that makes sense.
Will certainly use this as a jumping off point for the next live stream, as it's a very handy technique and easy to do with most any compressor device in Reason!
Thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to your next stream for some more info on this. What made me asking was the fact that the gain RE's had no audio input/output connected, only CV (when you flipped the rack). So that made it look like some nice voodoo trickery :puf_bigsmile:
-------

Goriila Texas

10 Mar 2022

Shouldn't this post be in the Rack extensions forum? I personally couldn't give two fcks about a developer spamming us about streaming on his YouTube page on the main general page pushing the stuff we want to see like the SP1200 clone Ryan did or helping people in the Bass engineering thread further down. I hated it when Adam was doing it now I guess both will be spamming the general forum. :x

joeyluck

10 Mar 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Shouldn't this post be in the Rack extensions forum? I personally couldn't give two fcks about a developer spamming us about streaming on his YouTube page on the main general page pushing the stuff we want to see like the SP1200 clone Ryan did or helping people in the Bass engineering thread further down. I hated it when Adam was doing it now I guess both will be spamming the general forum. :x
I'd say it's more related to Reason General and not Rack Extensions if it's covering more about workflow and techniques throughout Reason. I guess one could argue it could be in the Tutorials and Techniques forum?

But it's not spam if it's a new stream each time and the other threads about past streams are not active at the same time. This isn't like a developer posting about the same sale over and over again. Maybe a single thread for all of someone's streams would be handy for those interested to bookmark (like Adam did)? But when that one thread is updated, it will have the same effect in terms of activity and seeing that one thread active again in New Posts.

Goriila Texas

10 Mar 2022

Yes Tutorials is where it should be imo.

joeyluck wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Mar 2022
I'd say it's more related to Reason General and not Rack Extensions if it's covering more about workflow and techniques throughout Reason. I guess one could argue it could be in the Tutorials and Techniques forum?

But it's not spam if it's a new stream each time and the other threads about past streams are not active at the same time. This isn't like a developer posting about the same sale over and over again. Maybe a single thread for all of someone's streams would be handy for those interested to bookmark (like Adam did)? But when that one thread is updated, it will have the same effect in terms of activity and seeing that one thread active again in New Posts.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Mar 2022
I agree doesn't make any sense for it to be in Rack Extensions.
And as such, I also have to agree with Joey that it belongs in Tutorials, so consider it moved.
As for single vs multiple threads, I actually didn't find it easy to follow Adams ever expanding single thread over time, as the conversations overlapped and things got confusing (ok, they were confusing to ME, not necessarily to anyone else). So if no one takes further offense I'll start a new thread for each monthly stream and let the previous thread die off into internet eternity.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

10 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
10 Mar 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Mar 2022
I agree doesn't make any sense for it to be in Rack Extensions.
And as such, I also have to agree with Joey that it belongs in Tutorials, so consider it moved.
As for single vs multiple threads, I actually didn't find it easy to follow Adams ever expanding single thread over time, as the conversations overlapped and things got confusing (ok, they were confusing to ME, not necessarily to anyone else). So if no one takes further offense I'll start a new thread for each monthly stream and let the previous thread die off into internet eternity.
Sounds good. And probably after each stream is complete, you could even update the title with the key topics covered in that stream.

crimsonwarlock

11 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
10 Mar 2022
So if no one takes further offense I'll start a new thread for each monthly stream and let the previous thread die off into internet eternity.
As you are mainly talking about techniques, that might interest people after the stream has finished, one topic per stream (as you suggest) seems best to me. It gives the possibility to discuss things (from the stream) afterwards. It might also be handy to add the archived stream video to the first post, which would make the topic even more useful for future reference.
-------

visheshl

11 Mar 2022

selig wrote:
10 Mar 2022
The song used in todays stream is available here:
Beautiful music 👍👍👍

• Information