What comes first: EQ or Compressor, etc.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Drudner

06 Feb 2022

Hello, everyone! :)

I have a question: What comes first: EQ or Compressor, etc.
I am not talking about audio recorded live. I am talking about music/sounds done via Vst.
I read there is a big difference.

For example:
I used a Maximizer on a drum loop to make it stand out a little.
I also added a ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter to it, after the Maximizer.
So far it sounds not bad at all.
But from a technical point of view, should I put it in front of the Maximzer?

Is there a specific order on how to put effects?

Postscript: Yes, I did read "Common Mixing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them", I just did not find anything regarding the topic.

Thanks!
Chris
"And I still don't know if I'm a falcon, a storm, or an unfinished song."

https://soundcloud.com/drudnermusic

PhillipOrdonez

06 Feb 2022

Well, for virtual instruments i seldom use any compression. But if you must, the order really depends on what you want. For general purposes, the eq after the compressor is the better approach. There are cases where you want the eq before it though, but it all depends on what the sound needs.

On your case, on the drum bus, I put the compressor first and then the eq following it 100% of the time. I don't use a maximiser anywhere there unless it's solely for using the soft clipping, and usually apply that on the individual drum sounds that might need it.

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Feb 2022
Well, for virtual instruments i seldom use any compression. But if you must, the order really depends on what you want. For general purposes, the eq after the compressor is the better approach. There are cases where you want the eq before it though, but it all depends on what the sound needs.

On your case, on the drum bus, I put the compressor first and then the eq following it 100% of the time. I don't use a maximiser anywhere there unless it's solely for using the soft clipping, and usually apply that on the individual drum sounds that might need it.
Thank you!

Most of the time, me neither. Coz the drumloops or Synths, etc. already have compression added.
But besides EQ and Compressor, is there also a specific for effects, etc?

PhillipOrdonez

06 Feb 2022

I can't understand your question

moofi

06 Feb 2022

No, there is no set roule. Especially regarding sounddesign. Actually it´s about what you like to achieve or what situation you are in.
You can basically see both like tools with certain capabilties. Both got possibilities to be used as an audioengineering tool like e.g. filtering out unwanted frequencies with an EQ and leveling out peaks with a compressor. Then there is the sounddesign side of things where both can be used to shape and colour the sound aswell.

For example, if looking at the way at least I work, there are often multiple compressors/EQ within one single effect chain fullfilling tasks within both worlds.
Experimentation is often the key here.

In your example, I at least assume the maximizer glueing stuff together for cohesivness/level reduction, then being effected by the filter afterwards.
Then there could be the inverted situation aswell, where you first filter and let´s say modulate, so you got peaks popping up, hence a compressor afterwards to level things out.
You could aswell EQ the sound first to take out some overpresent stuff and compress afterwards, so the compressor wouldn´t be triggered as much as if you used it before, etc.

Or something like using two compressors in a row, one for at first taming the most extreme dynamics and a second for additional compression where both compressors have to work less compared to a single unit. Aswell two or several EQ with different bandwidths or colouring properties for soundshaping purposes.

Like said, there are many individual situations where you could make use of both in varying ways. Just experiment a little and find out what´s working in general and also for you.

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

moofi wrote:
06 Feb 2022
No, there is no set roule. Especially regarding sounddesign. Actually it´s about what you like to achieve or what situation you are in.
You can basically see both like tools with certain capabilties. Both got possibilities to be used as an audioengineering tool like e.g. filtering out unwanted frequencies with an EQ and leveling out peaks with a compressor. Then there is the sounddesign side of things where both can be used to shape and colour the sound aswell.

For example, if looking at the way at least I work, there are often multiple compressors/EQ within one single effect chain fullfilling tasks within both worlds.
Experimentation is often the key here.

In your example, I at least assume the maximizer glueing stuff together for cohesivness/level reduction, then being effected by the filter afterwards.
Then there could be the inverted situation aswell, where you first filter and let´s say modulate, so you got peaks popping up, hence a compressor afterwards to level things out.
You could aswell EQ the sound first to take out some overpresent stuff and compress afterwards, so the compressor wouldn´t be triggered as much as if you used it before, etc.

Or something like using two compressors in a row, one for at first taming the most extreme dynamics and a second for additional compression where both compressors have to work less compared to a single unit. Aswell two or several EQ with different bandwidths or colouring properties for soundshaping purposes.

Like said, there are many individual situations where you could make use of both in varying ways. Just experiment a little and find out what´s working in general and also for you.
Understood. :thumbs_up:
Thank you! :)

DaveyG

06 Feb 2022

I often have EQ both before and after a compressor, particularly on recordings of "real" instruments.
The EQ before the comp is there to cut unwanted low and (more rarely) high frequencies so the compressor has an easier job on the bits I'm interested in.
Of course, you can use multiband dynamics instead but I find it simpler to just use EQ.

But, yes, there are no wrongs or rights. Try it both ways and go with what sounds best in the mix.

QVprod

06 Feb 2022

EQ before compression matters most when it’s corrective EQ. Otherwise it’s either or. One may sound better than the other or they may sound about the same.

crimsonwarlock

06 Feb 2022

Any effects combined in any order will give you a certain result, and every such result can be useful in the context of your production.

I often just swap the order of effects to see if that works better for me in that particular instance.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

DaveyG wrote:
06 Feb 2022
I often have EQ both before and after a compressor, particularly on recordings of "real" instruments.
The EQ before the comp is there to cut unwanted low and (more rarely) high frequencies so the compressor has an easier job on the bits I'm interested in.
Of course, you can use multiband dynamics instead but I find it simpler to just use EQ.

But, yes, there are no wrongs or rights. Try it both ways and go with what sounds best in the mix.
Besides "just" trying things to find out, I also try to keep in mind that there might be a experienced sound engineer taking alook at it.
And of the best thing would be him being okay with the mixdown, and not having to do all the work.
My approach to mxing is kinda like this:
if it was a cocktail, for each there is a recipe. And Rum& Coke with Vodka might be to your liking, it is just not Rum & Coke anymore.
(I hope that makes sense?)

But yeah, I realized I sound way better than last year, so trying things out and playing around definitely helps. :)

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

QVprod wrote:
06 Feb 2022
EQ before compression matters most when it’s corrective EQ. Otherwise it’s either or. One may sound better than the other or they may sound about the same.
Understood.
Thanks! :)

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Feb 2022
Any effects combined in any order will give you a certain result, and every such result can be useful in the context of your production.

I often just swap the order of effects to see if that works better for me in that particular instance.
Understood.
Thanks! :)

visheshl

06 Feb 2022

What comes first, EQ compressor or whatever else?

Well simply put, this question was relevant in the days of hardware or less computing power.
Now you can go nuts, if you want patch 10 eqs one after the other if you want.
Whatever works for the sound you're trying to achieve.
What i would generally do is patch an eq first, filter out unnecessary or annoying frequencies, patch a compressor, then another EQ to shape the sound after compression, then it's upto you to use a maximiser, limiter etc... One mixing tip i can give you though is patch a volume/gain device at the end of the chain, so for example, when you automate the main fader of the mixer channel however you wish, but then you feel that the overall level should go up or down a few dbs, but you don't want it to affect the automation of the fader, you can easily use the gain control at the end of the chain to raise or lower the overall level.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2022

Maybe not relevant to this thread but I’ve just been questioning myself as to where to put the compressor on my guitar pedal chain. Seems to sound best after the distortion and boost and before the modulation and delay. For me in any case.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

06 Feb 2022

One of the first lessons I learned on the SSL back in my early years (1980s) was the answer I got to this very question. The answer I got, and the one I give to this day is “always try both and choose the one that sounds best”. Luckily on the SSL it’s a button away, so it was easy to A/B and compare.
Bottom line, the more EQ and Compression used, the bigger the difference will be, and obviously if one or the other isn’t doing very much there won’t be as much if any difference. Over the years I’ve never seen one way work better than the other with any predictability, thus I still listen and compare!
Selig Audio, LLC

NMHindman

06 Feb 2022

EQ after compression is generally for tone. EQ before compression is a means to control frequency response of the compressor. But...

There are really 1000 answers to your question. To narrow them to one: just think about what you are trying to achieve in each case. Does the sound even need compression or eq?

If you are learning, use Selig's suggestion and just explore what sounds good to you. That's not as random as it sounds, because you'll begin to discover certain combinations work consistently for certain situations (hope you'll share with us when you do :puf_smile: )

Threpus

06 Feb 2022

NMHindman wrote:
06 Feb 2022
EQ after compression is generally for tone. EQ before compression is a means to control frequency response of the compressor.
This is my philosophy. EQ to correct for any excessive frequency stacking, compression, and then some gentle EQ to sculpt the sound before sending it all to a limiter.

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

NMHindman wrote:
06 Feb 2022
EQ after compression is generally for tone. EQ before compression is a means to control frequency response of the compressor. But...

There are really 1000 answers to your question. To narrow them to one: just think about what you are trying to achieve in each case. Does the sound even need compression or eq?

If you are learning, use Selig's suggestion and just explore what sounds good to you. That's not as random as it sounds, because you'll begin to discover certain combinations work consistently for certain situations (hope you'll share with us when you do :puf_smile: )
It is not just about sound but also about mixing.
Today I realized that my lead synth had a sine wave underneath, which was fighting the sub bass. Got rid of that and now it sounds way more clearer.
And I was trying to eq that one sound, until I realized the sine wave.

But yiu guys are all right: in the end it comes down to tyring things out, ask people for advice/opinion and learn about the craft, learn what certain effects do.

Drudner

06 Feb 2022

Right way?
Attachments
BASS EQ.jpg
BASS EQ.jpg (870.78 KiB) Viewed 4667 times

Shamantrixx

07 Feb 2022

If you are not sure in what order you should EQ and compress .. you prolly don't need any of those.

• Information