New to Reason - How to send MIDI out from Kontakt?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
gkillmaster

30 Jan 2022

I was trying to hook up a Kontakt MIDI player to Algoritm and I couldn't figure out how to get the MIDI out to it.
In Bitwig, it just passes through to the next device in the chain. How does this work in Reason? I have Kontakt set to send midi to the outside world and I tried cabling the CV and gate to Algoritm but it wouldn't let me do that.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Greg K.

jam-s

30 Jan 2022

Reason does not (yet?) support MIDI out from VSTs.

crimsonwarlock

31 Jan 2022

I'm not using Bitwig, but there should be a way to route MIDI from one channel to another. That way you can route the output from Kontakt on one channel to RRP on another channel. In that case, RRP should see the MIDI as incoming from the DAW, just like MIDI from a track or from a MIDI keyboard.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

gkillmaster

31 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I'm not using Bitwig, but there should be a way to route MIDI from one channel to another. That way you can route the output from Kontakt on one channel to RRP on another channel. In that case, RRP should see the MIDI as incoming from the DAW, just like MIDI from a track or from a MIDI keyboard.
Hmmm, thanks. I'll look into this.

gkillmaster

31 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
30 Jan 2022
O! that would explain it. Thanks...

crimsonwarlock

31 Jan 2022

Here is an explanation on how to do it:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511532

Basically what I said.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

gkillmaster

31 Jan 2022

O, sorry. re-reading my original post, I guess it's not clear that I'm trying to do this within Reason, not Bitwig. I was just stating how it works in Bitwig.

crimsonwarlock

31 Jan 2022

gkillmaster wrote:
31 Jan 2022
O, sorry. re-reading my original post, I guess it's not clear that I'm trying to do this within Reason, not Bitwig. I was just stating how it works in Bitwig.
Ah, OK. I realize I didn't read your question correct.
-------

visheshl

31 Jan 2022

jam-s wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Reason will never support midi out from vsts
(Note this reason Dev's...you don't want the responsibility of all this mess on your shoulders?)

If you're using reason as a plugin in another DAW, this is the DAW's responsibility whether to allow midi out of reason to another device or whether to allow midi out of another Vst to the reason Rack plugin.

As far as reason standalone is concerned, no midi out of vsts. Period

visheshl

31 Jan 2022

Who here thinks midi out of vsts should be allowed in reason standalone...raise your hand please

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

visheshl wrote:
31 Jan 2022
Who here thinks midi out of vsts should be allowed in reason standalone...raise your hand please
I've been asking for this since vst was half introduce, I've even got a response (check the link below)

I think it's simple to achieve especially as what we really need is some kind of pass through device like a player that receives the midi from the vst device above and then enables pass through into the RE (player | instrument) below.

visheshl

31 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
31 Jan 2022
visheshl wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I've been asking for this since vst was half introduce, I've even got a response (check the link below)

I think it's simple to achieve especially as what we really need is some kind of pass through device like a player that receives the midi from the vst device above and then enables pass through into the RE (player | instrument) below.
There's no link below, apart from your signature

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

visheshl wrote:
31 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
31 Jan 2022

There's no link below, apart from your signature
The link is in my signature ;)

visheshl

31 Jan 2022

I don't think such a pass thru device should be made...if it is then that's on you

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

visheshl wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I don't think such a pass thru device should be made...if it is then that's on you
I'm less interested now as I'm using Live more and more which works I might buy Reason again when it runs native on apple silicon just so I can use the devices I've purchased without using Rosetta but like many I've tired of the waiting for improvements to standalone and have switched.

• Information