Anyone got a guide to modding ReBirth?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Klark Trent

26 Jan 2022

Hi,

I'm after a guide or info on changing the drum sounds on ReBirth 338. Does anyone have such a thing from way back? Sadly the internet is a sparse place with regard to ReBirth. Yes there are one or two abandoned sites still functioning but most with dead links.

Modding was such a huge culture at the turn of the century what I agree was 20 years ago. But there must have been a guide made or some sort of literature about it. These days there would be 4 trillion youtube videos . Ha, how times changed.

DaveyG

26 Jan 2022

It's a very long time since I've done it but you need to use a prog call Modpacker. It's on the Rebirth installation disk. The installation includes a folder that contains all the GFX and sounds for standard Rebirth. You copy the folder, replace any or all of the files with new ones in the same format and pack them into a new mod. I seem to recall that the sounds were in AIFF format which caused me a bit of grief back then in my cosy little WAV-centric world. :D

Klark Trent

26 Jan 2022

Brilliant. Thanks mate.

jam-s

26 Jan 2022

Have a look at the "Using mods" section of the Rebirth RB-338 manual: https://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_manu ... manual.pdf

EDIT: https://www.reinerstilesets.de/de/progr ... modhelper/ might also be useful.

Klark Trent

26 Jan 2022

I know the PHs were ok with modding, but I never even thought to look in the manual ha. Thanks mate

jam-s

26 Jan 2022

Yeah, the Props were a really cool bunch back then.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

Klark Trent wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I know the PHs were ok with modding, but I never even thought to look in the manual ha. Thanks mate
Yep, and they also made a Rebirth Museum featuring a compilation of all the 808 mods as a Refill when they discontinued Reason Rebirth (which is now inaccessible as you needed to be logged in to download it).

Peff still hosts a Rebirth RB-338 Archive. See what's still there.
Last edited by avasopht on 27 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

27 Jan 2022

avasopht wrote:
26 Jan 2022
...when they discontinued Reason
:o :o :o :o :o
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Klark Trent

27 Jan 2022

@ Avasopht. Hi Like I say most of the links are dead. Ive been to both of them pages and more and you get there full of hope but when you delve deeper into it most links go no where. Hence my post here.

It's very sad to see that rebirth has pretty much all but vanished in 2022 like it never was. Especially in these days of 45 million trillion 303 clones.

jam-s

27 Jan 2022

Some old pages could possibly still be found in the https://web.archive.org/

Klark Trent

02 Feb 2022

Jams - Your never gonna beat your original peice of advice! RTFM haha

I never ever thought a manual would cover modding, what until a company say its ok is usually illegal or near. Yet the manual admittedly 2.0 (Dont think modding allowed in 1.0) has a super section on how to do it.

Yeah the web archive is ok but sadly its better for reading articles you already know links too I find. Finding a site with links on usually ends up in dead links. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, your suggestion (RTFM is a much nicer wording ha) acutely helped considerably :thumbup:

• Information