Triggering LFOs

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Jagwah

25 Jan 2022

I am enjoying using Serum but I really want to use my own LFOs instead of Serum's built in ones.

I need to be able to trigger the LFO when I hit a note on my keyboard so it starts at the same point, and send that via CV cable... any ideas?

Cheers! :)

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2022

Pulsar can do this, but only the first LFO so not very efficient - or do you have a specific LFO you want to use?
Selig Audio, LLC

huggermugger

25 Jan 2022

In addition to Pulsar, here are a few other LFOs that have reset inputs. Little LFO (a freebie that does lots of interesting things) and Shape are more convenient because you can easily reset with a MIDI note. The others require a bit of setup.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.30.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.30.08 PM.png (706.76 KiB) Viewed 2461 times

Jagwah

26 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
25 Jan 2022
Pulsar can do this, but only the first LFO so not very efficient - or do you have a specific LFO you want to use?
huggermugger wrote:
25 Jan 2022
In addition to Pulsar, here are a few other LFOs that have reset inputs. Little LFO (a freebie that does lots of interesting things) and Shape are more convenient because you can easily reset with a MIDI note. The others require a bit of setup.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Thinking on this more it appears an envelope that can be triggered in this way would be better, especially if I can have control over the envelope. Making big basses in Serum with lots of movement requires lots of modulation, but to have them all retrigger with each note means I can find the sweet spots of all the modulators and move them a little (envelope). I tried simply automating all the movements but there is really something about having them retrigger with each note hit.

The idea I had was to use a switched off RPG-8 to receive midi, split the signal, send one to the instrument, and others to envelope generators of some kind for my needs, then back to Serum.

I have Speo's Frame CV which seems like it might do the job, I will try it soon and reply here, thanks again! :)

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

does serum not have its own note envelopes? i am not a serum user but that seems odd to me. if true, reason studios envelopes are simple and nice, you could grab the envelope out of europa for example and wire that across. i am personally a fan of PSDN by alienseed for envelopes but experiment with what youve got already
- Certified Reason expert

Jagwah

26 Jan 2022

Bes wrote:
26 Jan 2022
does serum not have its own note envelopes? i am not a serum user but that seems odd to me. if true, reason studios envelopes are simple and nice, you could grab the envelope out of europa for example and wire that across. i am personally a fan of PSDN by alienseed for envelopes but experiment with what youve got already
Yes it does but I want to use my own, it's complicated but I believe I will have better control and enjoy the process more.

Loque

26 Jan 2022

Jagwah wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Bes wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Yes it does but I want to use my own, it's complicated but I believe I will have better control and enjoy the process more.
Not sure, what you want to do, but you can also use automation or indirect automation->CV via CV8X4.

I am not sure, why so many devs do not think about triggering LFOs or syncing them to the transport bar. Lectric Panda seem to be one of the rare devs, that implemented this like in ZFO-2, but you must understand with synced to transport bar, that it changes depending on the position in the sequencer.

Another pearl from the Panda is Shape, which can record and trigger. It just lacks some good painting via curves.

Always keep in mind, that external CV signals are monophonic.
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2022

Some envelope suggestions:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... enveloper/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-mutant/

Both can work as an envelope, LFO or a combination.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2022

Jagwah wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Bes wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Ok, but what specifically makes them “your own”? what qualities do you seek that Serum doesn’t support? So many options with envelopes from simple two stage to multistage w/curves and everything in between…
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

26 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Some envelope suggestions:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... enveloper/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-mutant/

Both can work as an envelope, LFO or a combination.
Thank you I had no idea how powerful and cool CV Mutant is. It's nice to draw the shape too. Going nuts getting it to trigger from CV input as it just will not work and I can't see where I am going wrong... yet. ;)
Last edited by Jagwah on 26 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

26 Jan 2022

Loque wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Not sure, what you want to do, but you can also use automation or indirect automation->CV via CV8X4.
I am not sure, why so many devs do not think about triggering LFOs or syncing them to the transport bar. Lectric Panda seem to be one of the rare devs, that implemented this like in ZFO-2, but you must understand with synced to transport bar, that it changes depending on the position in the sequencer.
Another pearl from the Panda is Shape, which can record and trigger. It just lacks some good painting via curves.
Always keep in mind, that external CV signals are monophonic.
I use Hamu's Mod Panels like you use the cv8x4. They are excellent and if I could just find a way to trigger the knobs automations like I am mentioning in this thread, then I could literally draw envelopes in the sequencer, and have them trigger when I play a note - that would be perfect for what I want to do, and I agree more devs should have triggerable LFOs and envelopes on board, either that or I have just been missing / not understanding the feature. In Serum, it's a huge deal and has a huge impact on the sound. Thanks for the suggestions.
selig wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Jagwah wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Ok, but what specifically makes them “your own”? what qualities do you seek that Serum doesn’t support? So many options with envelopes from simple two stage to multistage w/curves and everything in between…
Serum's envelopes and LFOs are indeed very powerful, but if I can just take control of them myself in Reason via CV - I can manipulate the bejesus out of them in any way I can imagine. I also want to have multiple envelopes with very slight differences, or just one with a slight modification with something like Quadelectra's CV SUITE Line Processor. I know I can't get that sort of control or creative ideas happening within Serum itself, as good as it is. I can then take advantage of Serum's insane oscillators, and use Reason's CV utilities to modulate it, the envelopes just need to be triggerable like they are in Serum.

mjxl

15 Feb 2022

Another topic where i can just mention Europa, yay.
Try Europa!

4 CV outputs with plenty of sources to modulate it further.
4 envelopes and 3lfos that can be key triggered etc
Mod matrix etc.

• Information