Players - how to add Swing ?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Noise
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2021

Any hints how to add swing to the notes coming from the ex: Dual Arpeggio player, or any player device ?
I've search the shop for anything related to "humanize" or "swing" couldn't reach any conclusion ..

Helpz ? 🎄
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

joeyluck

24 Dec 2021

Many players have an adjustable shuffle setting.

Dual Arpeggio's is a little hidden...
It is one of the Rate options between 1/16 and 1/16T. I believe it is a global shuffle that can be adjusted via the ReGroove mixer.

Alternatively, you could follow Dual Arp with another player such as Pattern Mutator and record into Pattern Mutator which has an adjustable shuffle setting.

motuscott

24 Dec 2021

As a guy who occasionally tries to strap real drum tracks to a grid, I am confused at this concept of swing.
Any percussionist worth their salt knows riddum does not have a percentage of swang, it varies with every measure, depending on song, players, any number of extraneous things. Perhaps someone younger than I can eggsplain.
The mathematician in me loves him some 66% swang, but I have banished him to a cave far far away
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

integerpoet

24 Dec 2021

motuscott wrote:
24 Dec 2021
As a guy who occasionally tries to strap real drum tracks to a grid, I am confused at this concept of swing.
Any percussionist worth their salt knows riddum does not have a percentage of swang, it varies with every measure, depending on song, players, any number of extraneous things. Perhaps someone younger than I can eggsplain.
The mathematician in me loves him some 66% swang, but I have banished him to a cave far far away
One way to look at it is that swing (swang) expressed as percentage is better than nothing. And I imagine it can be automated per measure if you like.

But another is that swing, style, feeling, connecting with other players, and so on are discrete qualities that a good human drummer packages nicely, but swing remains a thing of its own and controlling it alone remains better than nothing.

You can also "print" your sequencer to MIDI, add a little randomness, and tell yourself the listener will perceive it as humanity. :-) The Reason Drum Kits instrument even has randomness inbuilt so you don't have to print from your sequencer to add it.

But if you are making some kinds of dance music then maybe humanity is not actually what you want and mathematically perfect swing across an entire track is just what the doctor ordered for that guy in the far-away cave.
Last edited by integerpoet on 24 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

24 Dec 2021

integerpoet wrote:
24 Dec 2021
motuscott wrote:
24 Dec 2021
One way to look at it is that swing (swang) expressed as percentage is better than nothing. And I suppose it can be automated per measure if you like.

But another is that swing, style, feeling, connecting with other players, and so on are each discrete things that a good human drummer packages nicely, but swing remains a thing of its own and controlling it alone remains better than nothing.

You can also "print" your sequencer to MIDI, add a little randomness, and tell yourself the listener will perceive it as humanity. :-) The Reason Drum Kits instrument even has randomness inbuilt so you don't have to print from your sequencer to add it.

But if you are making some kinds of dance music then maybe humanity is not actually what you want and mathematically perfect swing is just what the doctor ordered for that guy in the far-away cave.
Tru dat

demt

24 Dec 2021

Right well said however on the toriaz squid you can mathmatically cluster the density of the notes to various positions of the max 64 beat track, to highlight various nuances of the tune ,I use it a lot for emphasising the bar or bars. I haven't deciphered regroove to do this, can it?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

QVprod

24 Dec 2021

Notes to track and then Regroove for the swing

motuscott

26 Dec 2021

As a ReasonPoster with no self control and apparently endless time, I am much pleased to see demt and QV posting back to back.
It just works

motuscott

26 Dec 2021

Not in Reason per se, but as a concept

Noise
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Dec 2021
I believe it is a global shuffle that can be adjusted via the ReGroove mixer.
Joey thanks, this is the working solution for now. This is the only way to add some swing to the arpeggiator.
Wish that I could assign a "groove" like we do it for note lanes, i guess it's another missed feature.

Realy didn't want to print notes (only if it was money), usually I don't print from players :D

Thank all for the input
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

• Information