How is this technique called?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ukho

12 Dec 2021

Hi! :)

Quick question: how do you call this technique starting at 0:22; this "rising"?

"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

BRIGGS

12 Dec 2021

I'd say...'pitch automation'.
r11s

Ukho

12 Dec 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
12 Dec 2021
I'd say...'pitch automation'.
Yes! Just started trying to figure it out on the Diva Vst. THANKS!
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

huggermugger

12 Dec 2021

It's called Glide or Portamento. You can hear the glide up easily after the first note, but you can also hear a glide back down after the third note if you listen carefully. Most synths offer this feature.

BRIGGS

12 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
12 Dec 2021
It's called Glide or Portamento. You can hear the glide up easily after the first note, but you can also hear a glide back down after the third note if you listen carefully. Most synths offer this feature.
I thought that at first too, then I heard the part that's really long...too long, for regular portamento or glide.
r11s

Ukho

12 Dec 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
12 Dec 2021
huggermugger wrote:
12 Dec 2021
I thought that at first too, then I heard the part that's really long...too long, for regular portamento or glide.
It is Glitch at Diva, Sylenth has Glide.
Right now I am playing around with it on Diva. Too much is not good. :D
But when used subtle, it adds some nice flavor.

BRIGGS

12 Dec 2021

Could be a combination of portamento and pitch automation.
r11s

Billy+

12 Dec 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
12 Dec 2021
Could be a combination of portamento and pitch automation.
If we are talking about the synth line I think you're spot on, it definitely sounds like pitch automation but maybe there's some note changes with glide/porto on them but a sustained note that is being changed via pitch automation is definitely what I would try first.

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2021

Definitely Portamento. They are probably automating the Porta timing. OR have used an Equal Rate option so the further the distance between notes the longer the slide (most synths now use Equal Time as it is mostly neater).

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Creativemind

12 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
12 Dec 2021
I was gonna say that. Sounded like portemento (aka clanger lol!).
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information