Mimic as sample "repository"

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
artotaku

29 Nov 2021

I mostly use Reason´s samplers for drum/percussion samples and when Mimic came out I thought, well, nothing special, just another sampler.

On last weekend I realized that I could use Mimic as quick look up samples category repository ready for use and immediate control. So instead of storing a collection of bestof drum samples in subfolders I did the following:
  1. Imported 20 kick samples on the same audio mix channel in Reason sequencer one after the other
  2. Cut and faded out any tails and normalized audio. Joined the clips and bounced the result clip to user samples
  3. Dragged the sample to Mimic, switch to slice mode, adjust sensivity to find the correct transients if needed. Change envelopes and further parameters if needed. What´s cool, e. g. decay is applied to all slices at once
  4. Put Mimic into combinator, attached lectricPanda UTL note filter (free) to Mimic and activate note fixed set to C1
  5. Assigned a combinator rotary to UTL offset note with a max range corresponding to the kick sample count
Attach a drum step sequencer or any other player to combinator and cycle through the samples with the rotary.
Do the same for snares, hihats, etc.

You could do that with Dr. Octorex as well but I think rex loop have some sound degradation after conversion and Mimic has just more control.

Ideal for a live performance setup or testing out samples where you can immedately change decay, pitch, etc.

deeplink
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2021

I achieved a similar thing but using NN19 (NN19 has more assignable controls than NNXT and can house more samples), as well as CV controlling the note input - essentially creating a sample select rotary. All using stock/built in instruments. Link: 16 Step Sample Sequencer

The NN19 method is little bit more on-the-fly, as you just drag a collection of samples from the browser onto the instrument.

I am in the midst of exploring the Mimic route - i.e pre-cording a long sample of many different sounds. However I would try incorporate sample start + snap to slice, with aim of *hopefully* retaining keyboard control over pitch (e.g in Pitch mode). If that doesn't work then Slice Mode it will have to be.

FYI - both Reason's Drum Sequencer and (more effectively) Beatmap enable Note control - which can also essentially be used as a Sample Selector.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

artotaku

29 Nov 2021

deeplink wrote:
29 Nov 2021
I achieved a similar thing but using NN19 (NN19 has more assignable controls than NNXT and can house more samples), as well as CV controlling the note input - essentially creating a sample select rotary. All using stock/built in instruments. Link: 16 Step Sample Sequencer

The NN19 method is little bit more on-the-fly, as you just drag a collection of samples from the browser onto the instrument.

I am in the midst of exploring the Mimic route - i.e pre-cording a long sample of many different sounds. However I would try incorporate sample start + snap to slice, with aim of *hopefully* retaining keyboard control over pitch (e.g in Pitch mode). If that doesn't work then Slice Mode it will have to be.

FYI - both Reason's Drum Sequencer and (more effectively) Beatmap enable Note control - which can also essentially be used as a Sample Selector.
I used NN19 before we had Mimic as you described. While the NN19 approach is more flexible if you want to add further samples or reorder them I like Mimic for its presentation of the waveform. You immedately see what´s in the device.

DaveyG

29 Nov 2021

It's great that it's working for you but it seems a bit odd to me to join loads of individual samples together just so Mimic can split them up again.
But if you prefer that way then carry on. There are no rules. :thumbup:

Incidentally the Rex format is lossless so there should be no sound degradation.

artotaku

29 Nov 2021

DaveyG wrote:
29 Nov 2021
It's great that it's working for you but it seems a bit odd to me to join loads of individual samples together just so Mimic can split them up again.
But if you prefer that way then carry on. There are no rules. :thumbup:

Incidentally the Rex format is lossless so there should be no sound degradation.
Well, if Mimic had more than 8 slots and any parameters could be applied globally (to all slots) I´m quite sure I would not join any samples and use multi slot mode. Or to put it differently, an NN19 with a waveform display and some other functions from Mimic would be great.

• Information