How to find the proper volume, etc.

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Ukho

20 Oct 2021

Hi everyone! :)

I have a question: how do I find the proper volume/loudness for each of the channels?

Is it really to one's liking, or are there some guidelines?

Thanks!
Chris
"Music is a place to take refuge. It's a sanctuary from mediocrity and boredom. It's innocent and it's a place you can lose yourself in thoughts, memories and intricacies."

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2021

I guess the Q is "What is the "proper volume"?

Volume is a word we try not to use so much in Mixing as it is more associated with the perception of Loudness. Loudness or Level is what we work with. That said you often find the words used interchangeably.

If your Q is really: How do I learn to find the right levels for each of the instruments in a mix? Then we really should side-step as that is an unanswerable question. The more you try to answer that one head-on (as in simple direct answers like Bass should be -6db and Kazoo should be -48dB) the more you lead yourself astray.

Mixing is about creating the Balance of parts that helps the listener feel the Story of the Song. That means that in one song, you may need lots of bassy bass and no hi-hats but in another song, the bass may be mixed high in the freq range with just a whisper of hi-hats but plenty of fizz in the strings. So the simple answer is that the level of any part of the mix is to taste - but try to make that taste based on the needs of the Story of the Song and not on your godlike need to make things be what you demand they be.

This is a discussion of the deeper understanding of Tone Over Time and how we use that as Composers & Mix Engineers

If however you only want to do stuff (and hope you are not making it harder on yourself than needed by bypassing the basics in the rush), this is my advice on how to start making solid mixes every time:

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information