Phase and width advice

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink

Post 10 Sep 2021

Hi RT

I ask the team to revie the below, and let me know if there are any red flags that pop out.

The goal:
To achieve width, and to maintain integrity in the mono signal.

The setup:
Dry signal runs through
Another signal is tapped from the dry, run into a delay (say 10 - 24ms).
The delayed signal is then is then split into L and R, with the R channel inverted.

The outcome;
To me, it appears I have a achieved the haas effect, with no change to a strong mid channel when in mono.

Is this correct?
I haven't before, or seen elsewhere, people simply flipping the polarity of the L or R channel to achieve width. So I'm just wondering if this a no go.

Loque

Post 10 Sep 2021

Per definition, you didnt made a Haas fx AFAIU.

What you created is a different L and R chanel, which makes the sound wide. This can, but also can not work in mono. Always depends on the timing and source material.

I am noob, so i might be wrong here...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

deeplink

Post 10 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2021

What you created is a different L and R chanel, which makes the sound wide. This can, but also can not work in mono. Always depends on the timing and source material.

Yes correct, it's not actually Haas. As the left and right are not delayed from each another.

Maybe it's psuedo stereo? As in my mind, the left and right differ from each other slightly - because of the polarity flip.

After some remuneration, I've realised that I'm simply just creating a delayed side/difference channel.

It ends up sounding like a Haas effect, but maybe my ears are stupid.

Loque

Post 10 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
10 Sep 2021

Yes correct, it's not actually Haas. As the left and right are not delayed from each another.

Maybe it's psuedo stereo? As in my mind, the left and right differ from each other slightly - because of the polarity flip.

After some remuneration, I've realised that I'm simply just creating a delayed side/difference channel.

It ends up sounding like a Haas effect, but maybe my ears are stupid.
IF it is "nearly" a Haas, you should see this in a gonio meter or you could let the sound "move" exactly in the stereo field with the delay.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

aeox

Post 10 Sep 2021

deeplink wrote:
10 Sep 2021
Hi RT

I ask the team to revie the below, and let me know if there are any red flags that pop out.

The goal:
To achieve width, and to maintain integrity in the mono signal.

The setup:
Dry signal runs through
Another signal is tapped from the dry, run into a delay (say 10 - 24ms).
The delayed signal is then is then split into L and R, with the R channel inverted.

The outcome;
To me, it appears I have a achieved the haas effect, with no change to a strong mid channel when in mono.

Is this correct?
I haven't before, or seen elsewhere, people simply flipping the polarity of the L or R channel to achieve width. So I'm just wondering if this a no go.
With your setup, the mono channel will be strong/audible but there will still be phase cancellation.

• Information