Interesting free form workflow.. how to set up in Reason?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
WarStar

30 Jul 2021

Just watched a brief tutorial from STLNDrum on Instagram.. he's using Ableton but I'm sure you can replicate it in reason somehow..

Stylistically STLNDrum is a Lofi producer so real nice pocket with fairly loose drums hip-hop style.. very chill low tempo type stuff..

So he's got this Ableton template for free from/stream of consciousness type set up.. and how he describes it is as an approach for putting down ideas without worrying about tempo so much but more so groove...

So how he sets it up is he puts down a very basic snare kick pattern for 4 or 8 bars then he has that track bussed so it's resampled into another track so it continually loops the snare kick pattern.. then somehow he has another whole series of channels set up with different instruments which is also bussed to the resampled track where the drum loop is free spooling on and on... As he uses other instruments the drum loop is muted on the resampled bus track but somehow you can still hear and monitor snare kick loop... If he has a Rhoades track and starts hitting some keys it then mutes the drum loop on the resampled track BUT you're still able to hear the drum loop for timing.. it looks like he's able to record each instrument on it's on track as well as well as on the resampled track... More or less you'll get a series of free form ideas laid out on the resampled track as well as the separate tracks for each instrument..

I hope that all made sense.. he is using Abletons looper in but not sure how to translate that to Reason or if it's possible.. I've probably didn't describe that correctly lop

Sterioevo

30 Jul 2021

Abletons Looper is what you won't find in Reason. Ochen K's Repeat Looper is probably the closest thing. The first loop recorded typically sets the the tempo and starts the song, the rest can be setup as required with options for quantisation, length in bars, song control, tempo control, overdub or replace.

He basically has multiple buses of groups of instruments. Each bus has an instance of the looper that he is recording to, in overdub mode. He selects the desired track, this gets the midi focus and he then activates overdub mode to record into that busses looper.

Bink Beats offers a free looper system that is pretty neat as well that builds on the capabilities of the looper and adds extra functionality using dummy clips - again you won't find this capability in Reason. This device is primarily focused on organic live performance.

For jamming live with other performers the follow tempo function in Ableton is also very good. I have worked with a drummer and mic'ed up his kick drum and seamlessly added drum breaks that changed tempo following the drummer. In theory you could do this yourself playing a sampled sound in Ableton as well.

WarStar

30 Jul 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
30 Jul 2021
Abletons Looper is what you won't find in Reason. Ochen K's Repeat Looper is probably the closest thing. The first loop recorded typically sets the the tempo and starts the song, the rest can be setup as required with options for quantisation, length in bars, song control, tempo control, overdub or replace.

He basically has multiple buses of groups of instruments. Each bus has an instance of the looper that he is recording to, in overdub mode. He selects the desired track, this gets the midi focus and he then activates overdub mode to record into that busses looper.

Bink Beats offers a free looper system that is pretty neat as well that builds on the capabilities of the looper and adds extra functionality using dummy clips - again you won't find this capability in Reason. This device is primarily focused on organic live performance.

For jamming live with other performers the follow tempo function in Ableton is also very good. I have worked with a drummer and mic'ed up his kick drum and seamlessly added drum breaks that changed tempo following the drummer. In theory you could do this yourself playing a sampled sound in Ableton as well.
Thanks for the info! I knew someone would know what hes talking about in the vid.. I don't know anything about Ableton but dang wish reason had something like that.. I'll check out the RE you're talking about too...

Sterioevo

30 Jul 2021

The way the Ableton looper works is very similar to the Boss RC202/505 loopers. You have multiple channels you can select and overdub into. The first loop sets the tempo.

Come to think of it, you may be able to achieve something along the lines with a VST looper in Reason, just not the initial set tempo function as far as I am aware.

• Information