Copy paste device

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
kbard

24 Jul 2021

Guys, I have a seemingly funny question.

Have can I copy and paste single device which is in a chain or combinator?

Example: I have a combinator containing an instrument which has several devices below. One of it is Matrix or Synapse Filter.

So I want to copy just Matrix or Filter and paste it somewhere else inside the rack inside another instrument. My issue is that whenever I hover over Matrix (or single device), I only get a option to "Copy devices and tracks" resulting in copying all devices not just the Matrix.

How can I copy and paste just a single device from rack?

For now I am cloning whole chain and mixer channel, then I disconnect device, drag it somewhere else, and delete everything else. It occurred to me that perhaps there is some key command or something to copy just a single device.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jul 2021

I've seen a duplicate option somewhere, is it not there on those devices?

kbard

24 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jul 2021
I've seen a duplicate option somewhere, is it not there on those devices?
No there isn't. Like I said there is Duplicate option but it will duplicate everything. Not only Matrix.

This (screenshot) is what I see when I mouse hover over matrix and press right mouse click.
2021-07-24 13_09_22-.jpg
2021-07-24 13_09_22-.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 858 times

kbard

24 Jul 2021

Ok here is the weird part. I just tried Duplicate function and it only duplicated Matrix. However I swear it didn't worked for me few times when I tried it. It duplicated everything not just the Matrix.

I don't know how is this working today? Maybe I just mouse hovered over the wrong place before, but I highly doubt it.

Anyway case solved.

jam-s

24 Jul 2021

Have a look in the options menu. There's an option to automatically group devices and tracks. Try turning it off and then try to duplicate a single device.

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2021

As long as “group devices” is NOT selected you can easily copy/paste (or duplicate) single devices - ignore the description! Sometimes copy/paste is better than duplicate if you want the new device to go to a different part of the rack.
Selig Audio, LLC

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

24 Jul 2021

Simple quick method.

Hold CTRL/CMD then click-hold-drag-n-drop the device you want to duplicate, a '+' appears so you can then drop it anywhere you want vertically, and shouldn't cable up (just adds the unit you want to duplicate). If in a combi and you want to 'clone' a device do the above.

If you're in a combi and you CTRL click drag left or right, you clone the whole combi.

If you use CTRL/CMD + Shift and drag out of the combi on instrument devices then Reason will create a mix channel and then autoroute the cloned instrument. Reaosn will also create an instrument MIDI track too.

If you use CTRL/CMD clickndrag to duplicate an effect in a combi or in the rack then this duplicates the effect without wiring.

If you use CTRL/CMD + Shift to duplicate an effect within a combi or outside in the standard rack you end up duplicatng the device as well as autoconnect to the device above where you drop it

Now for quick reordering on effects use Shift drag and drop in a different order will allow you to rewire automatically the new chain (so you can do a quick pre/post check by simply SHIFT-moving the devices around)

Play around with these options and hotkeys to get a feel of what you can do.

• Information