Mixing/Mastering Suites vs your own efx Chains?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
WarStar

19 Jun 2021

Any thoughts on suites like Izotope ozone, neutron, etc for Mixing Mastering versus either native Suites or your own custom chains... What is your preference and what were the benefits or drawbacks of either approach...??

Billy+

19 Jun 2021

I got my mix and master advanced from izotope and find them really easy to use I like the assistant especially in neutron, I decided on the advanced versions as the modules can be used individually or chained in the mothership but find myself using ozone primarily as a standalone for mastering.

I would definitely recommend trying to get into using RE's inside Reason standalone if you've got the patience to learn how to use them but your probably going to want more than stoke devices but plenty of people who know what their doing would say stock is more than enough.

The things I like about izotope stuff is that they all talk to each other plus they have a lot of advanced features over stock masked frequency detection dynamic eq settings and more bands with a reasonable AI band detection, tonal balance is a helpful guide etc...

You still have to understand what your doing but they are definitely easier than stock.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jun 2021

I prefer my own efx chain, which consists of several ozone plugins plus other plugins 😂 I couldn't work with just the ozone plugins, I need them individually to be able to use others in between. And I'm talking about mastering only here. Definitely better to have flexibility and not just being stuck with one set chain, whether it is a mix of things you set up, or a suite like izotope's. You may not want to have the same processing on every track. Though in my case it doesn't change much but when I've needed to modify something in the chain, I could, and that's a good thing.

WarStar

21 Jun 2021

Thanks for the feedback guys..

I have the elements bundle and I've messed around with them but I guess I need to do a little more experimenting with them... And some compare contrast with my own chains.. it's kinda hard because in my mind I feel that I should know more by making my own chains and learning from that, which I have I just know there so much more to learn lol I don't want to go the easy route but I will if the results are good..

• Information