Reverb after Haas, or before?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink

Post 24 Mar 2021

Something that I've been circling around;

Irrespective of which may sound better, which is technically better in terms of potential phasing issues;

1. Reverb then Haas effect
2. Haas Effect then reverb
3. NO, do not use them together at all
4. No difference

Some background, the reason why I'm asking is basically because in other tracks, the reverb I hear somehow sound wider and almost more natural.

RV7000 and RV7 simply don't sound like it. However I feel like I get closer to it when I use a Haas effect on the reverb or visa versa.

Maybe there's something else I haven't considered?

Is it really all about actually buying Blackhole, Deep-Space or at the very least - a better convulution sample within the RV7000?

If someone has any reverb tips, other than low cutting, please share

Billy+

Post 24 Mar 2021

What sample are you using and do you know if it's stereo?

I think there is also a post kicking around about creating a "true" stereo RV7000 setup if that's something you might consider.

As for the actual question I can't honestly answer as it's not something that I actively use (hass)

Noise

Post 24 Mar 2021

Have you considered two instances of the RV7000 for L / R with some differences in the settings ?

Jackjackdaw

Post 24 Mar 2021

I only just discovered, lurking in the factory sounds , a stereo plate verb combi . I put it head to head with the Arturia plate, my benchmark for an awesome sounding verb and it came out pretty good! Could probably get it better with a bit of tweaking. I will definitely check out Selig's patch. I am always entirely underwhelmed by RV7000 on its own, I'm keen to learn how to dial it in.

deeplink

Post 24 Mar 2021

So just had a look into those Stereo Plate etc. Combinators.

They actually sound less stereo... Until you click the designated stereo width button - then it sounds great. Though when I look to see what that button is assigned to, it's essentially a pre-delay to one of the L or R reverbs.

So like, basically Haas effect.

Billy+

Post 24 Mar 2021

How are you getting your hass effect? Mono device with 10-40ms delay for right channel?

deeplink

Post 24 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Mar 2021
How are you getting your hass effect? Mono device with 10-40ms delay for right channel?
In my mind the signal doesn't have to be mono. Just a slight delay on the one side? And usually I go between 8 and 16 ms.

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time 😅

Billy+

Post 24 Mar 2021

I'm a great believer in if it sounds right it is right.

But then I also say bollox to mono compatibility "buy headphones fu*kers....."

Billy+

Post 24 Mar 2021

Producers can take advantage of the Haas Effect by cloning the channel and panning them to the extreme left and extreme right and applying delays on the channels(with the difference within 25-35 ms). The greater the difference in the delay, the more panned towards the channel with the lower delay it sounds. The effect can be enhanced by passing the channel with the greater delay through a low pass filter to remove the higher frequencies or by changing the amplitude of the sounds,

Jackjackdaw

Post 24 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I'm a great believer in if it sounds right it is right.

But then I also say bollox to mono compatibility "buy headphones fu*kers....."
Agreed! 👍

• Information