Wanted: Tips to record volume fader automation for vocal bus mix down

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
40charlton07

19 Mar 2021

Whats up everyone i have not been on for a minute it is good to see everyone here

I am having a bit of a situation here guys. basically i have 4 vocal tracks of same vocal and i am trying to mix them down all at once. what i have been trying to do is loop a section of a song im mixing, mix the 4 vocals/set the volume faders using my novation launchkey 49 sliders and when i have the vocal mix i like, i am trying to record and have reason automatically change the volume automation when it gets to my loop, to the new volumes i had just set. another way i have tried is recording the mix down on the vocals with the novation volume sliders but it leaves 1000s of volume automation dot points where each db changes.

AAArrgg please help guys

Billy+

19 Mar 2021

Would using a group bus work better for you?

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2021

One approach I've used is to record fader moves to get the mix where you want it, then delete all automation points except the last one. That leaves an automation clip with just one automation point, which you can use in a "snapshot automation" way, pasting it where you need it with the automation reverting to the original fader position where there is no clip. Make sense? Or am I missing something in what you're trying to achieve?
Selig Audio, LLC

40charlton07

19 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
19 Mar 2021
One approach I've used is to record fader moves to get the mix where you want it, then delete all automation points except the last one. That leaves an automation clip with just one automation point, which you can use in a "snapshot automation" way, pasting it where you need it with the automation reverting to the original fader position where there is no clip. Make sense? Or am I missing something in what you're trying to achieve?
thanks Selig, i appreciate your time in responding to this. huge fan (as everyone else) of selig gain and one day i will explore your other rack extenstions that i own!

yes you are right, that's what im shooting for. i had hoped that by setting a loop and fiddling with the vocal mix levels of each 4 vocal tracks til i got it just right, that i could then hit record and reason would detect the change in audio level and record the automation "snapshot" to reflect the new levels. unfortunately this doesnt happen.

the way you have said is the best way. i think i could make it faster/less clean up by mixing the vocals on loop mode (no recording), writing down or screen shotting the vocal fader db values and then recording each vocal track automation and use that written value as a quick reference to move the fader to as close as possible to that value which would mean less automation points to delete.

another way could be to record on loop with all 4 vocal tracks recording automation, set the levels then let the loop return to start which, if memory is correct, will wipe all previous stored points saving only the last automation point. i think. i will try and report back.

thank you again

40charlton07

19 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Mar 2021
Would using a group bus work better for you?
thanks billy. i am not sure, i havent tried that method before. i will do some research. do you use this way to mix tracks down? im not certain reason is the best for mixing down but sometimes a rough mix is needed to get a track past the tricky bits when tweaking and fine tuning

thank you

Billy+

20 Mar 2021

Group bus or drawing in automation for each channel will work once you've found your levels.
I also use selig gain https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... elig-gain/ fade feature
Plus I have a P6 locked to the mixer if I want to adjust free hand, you can always tidy up the automation after.

I guess it depends on how you prefer to work.

• Information