How to manually match a live recorded audio to tempo

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EdwardKiy

12 Mar 2021

There was this absolutely awesome video with Reason Record on how to manually sync an out-of-tempo audio (live-recorded) to DAW tempo and I've spent hours looking, but can't find it :oops:

Does anyone remember what it was called per chance?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
12 Mar 2021
There was this absolutely awesome video with Reason Record on how to manually sync an out-of-tempo audio (live-recorded) to DAW tempo and I've spent hours looking, but can't find it :oops:

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdwardKiy

12 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
12 Mar 2021
BINGO! Thanks a bunch man!

WeLoveYouToo

18 Mar 2021

i would also add that IF you don't want to quantisize it to a specific BPM, for example to prevent time stretch artifacts or maintain the artist's performance, stop at the step right before bouncing the audio to new recording with the new tempo information, and just work on the song with the new tempo automation lane.

rex files are not time-stretched on a per-cut level in a dr rex player, but they are if you drag them into the sequencer, i believe, so they will be slightly "off-time" but in perfect fidelity so long as you use one that's a slower tempo than teh general tempo of the recording.
and playing synths etc by hand should be easy with some quantisized clean-up in the midi lanes afterwards.
the sequencer will still quantisize everything to the new tempo automation lane, just not alter the original recording.
the only weird function i can think of would be time-based fx like medium to long delay fx since they will alter in pitch or something similar.

Jackjackdaw

18 Mar 2021

I love this video. It influenced my decision to buy Reason. I thought, wow! You can do that?! I record a lot of free style guitar and the grooves tend to get lost if I try to record the same thing to a click.

BananaSkins

08 Dec 2022

EdwardKiy wrote:
12 Mar 2021

Ah the good old days!

Inspired Music Making with Discover and Reason
Please note that Propellerhead Discover is now Allihoopa! :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2022

I used the technique in the video to take the vocal off of an old 4-track tape I made 30 years ago with a girl I knew. Synced it up with a track I made in Reason and won a free RE in a Turn2on competition here on RS.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

09 Dec 2022

Spoiler alert - that track Ryan used in the video WAS recorded to a click, and the whole point of that video was to adjust a track NOT recorded to a click! The only reason he had to do so much adjusting (which you can see in his video was just up/down a few BPM) was because he choose the wrong tempo to start with. He choose 56 BPM while the original was 55 BPM.
Why post this? Becuase it’s a great example of going around the world to get across the street. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer, but we still often believe the problem to solve is far more complex than it actually is. The lesson is to always look for the simplest solution FIRST! (And be sure you’re starting with the correct tempo)

Without further ado, here’s the response video showing how I fit the same track to the tempo in under 60 seconds. I only did two things to get the entire track in sync with the tempo: trimmed the top/slid the clip to bar one, then hit quantize. That’s it.

Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2022

selig wrote:
09 Dec 2022
Spoiler alert - that track Ryan used in the video WAS recorded to a click, and the whole point of that video was to adjust a track NOT recorded to a click! The only reason he had to do so much adjusting (which you can see in his video was just up/down a few BPM) was because he choose the wrong tempo to start with. He choose 56 BPM while the original was 55 BPM.
Why post this? Becuase it’s a great example of going around the world to get across the street. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer, but we still often believe the problem to solve is far more complex than it actually is. The lesson is to always look for the simplest solution FIRST! (And be sure you’re starting with the correct tempo)

Without further ado, here’s the response video showing how I fit the same track to the tempo in under 60 seconds. I only did two things to get the entire track in sync with the tempo: trimmed the top/slid the clip to bar one, then hit quantize. That’s it.

Aaa…but the click on the vocal track I recorded 30 years ago was me tapping my foot :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ljekio

09 Dec 2022

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2022
Aaa…but the click on the vocal track I recorded 30 years ago was me tapping my foot :)
and probably more quickly at the beginning than at the end?
this fall I also my 30-year-old cassette tracks aligned to tempo :)

• Information