Wide Stereo Oscillators [Research]

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

Post 21 Feb 2021

I'm not sure how much this subject was researched, or experimented with, but I haven't really come across it yet.

The idea is simple. You take an analog oscillator, and offset the phase of one of the stereo channels (maybe invert as necessary). This way, you can easily set how wide you want it to be between mono and completely out of phase.

So far, this is still nothing special. - Until you think about the fact, that you have a perfectly controllable stereo wave cycle (regarding wideness). This is something that you can't necessarily easily set up (at least not this accurately), once you designed a complex sound.

All in all, you set your desired stereo wideness with this simple method, and THEN continue designing the sound.

As you might already know, with the help of FM, you can create Noise. And if everything is true, with the above method, you might be able to create stereo noise, where the left and right channel have near perfectly equal volume all the way.

Btw, when I played around with just a sawtooth wave and such offsetting, the result was also a very interesting effect, where lower notes seemed to go to the left, while higher ones went to the right. Yet the volume was equal on both channels, of course. Yes, it's a bit of a HAAS effect, but way more fascinating.

Or is this something that's already made use of?

aeox

Post 21 Feb 2021

RobC wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I'm not sure how much this subject was researched, or experimented with, but I haven't really come across it yet.

The idea is simple. You take an analog oscillator, and offset the phase of one of the stereo channels (maybe invert as necessary). This way, you can easily set how wide you want it to be between mono and completely out of phase.

So far, this is still nothing special. - Until you think about the fact, that you have a perfectly controllable stereo wave cycle (regarding wideness). This is something that you can't necessarily easily set up (at least not this accurately), once you designed a complex sound.

All in all, you set your desired stereo wideness with this simple method, and THEN continue designing the sound.

As you might already know, with the help of FM, you can create Noise. And if everything is true, with the above method, you might be able to create stereo noise, where the left and right channel have near perfectly equal volume all the way.

Btw, when I played around with just a sawtooth wave and such offsetting, the result was also a very interesting effect, where lower notes seemed to go to the left, while higher ones went to the right. Yet the volume was equal on both channels, of course. Yes, it's a bit of a HAAS effect, but way more fascinating.

Or is this something that's already made use of?

It's something that's widely used :thumbs_up:

Loque

Post 21 Feb 2021

I experimented in combination with a gonjo meter and tried to create something that is even spreaded in the stereo, but failed. Yes, experiment quite a lot with it.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

RobC

Post 21 Feb 2021

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Which synthesizers do exactly what I described? I missed them, it seems.
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I experimented in combination with a gonjo meter and tried to create something that is even spreaded in the stereo, but failed. Yes, experiment quite a lot with it.

Here's a Saw cycle I experimented with.
Put it in an NNXT for example. Make sure it loops.

aeox

Post 21 Feb 2021

RobC wrote:
21 Feb 2021
aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Which synthesizers do exactly what I described? I missed them, it seems.
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2021

Here's a Saw cycle I experimented with.
Put it in an NNXT for example. Make sure it loops.
I don't know the internal workings of all synths out there, but the widening effect you mentioned is used a lot in sound design.

I'm sure there must've been someone out there who experimented with this in oscillators. Chances are, you've heard it and you never knew it.

RobC

Post 21 Feb 2021

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I don't know the internal workings of all synths out there, but the widening effect you mentioned is used a lot in sound design.

I'm sure there must've been someone out there who experimented with this in oscillators. Chances are, you've heard it and you never knew it.
Ah, okay that's true; but when it comes to sound design for selling, they have to consider mono compatibility, and predictability. This has some surprising effects, and sounds quite different in mono, each due to their respective reasons. As such, while indeed there are widening effects used, I didn't come across exactly ones like this, personally.

Whether I 'reinvent the wheel' or not, it's still fascinating; though I'm not sure if I'd use it for my own projects.

• Information