Better Understanding: Matrix Programmer Amnts

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

Hi RT

I hope to try get, or at least confirm, the matrix programmer amounts (e.g Thor, Europa and Grain) - specifically with regards to pitch.

Can you confirm, or correct the following;
Given no scale is being used, the following AMNTS will relate to the respective peak pitch change
11 = 1 Semi Tone (Half Step)
16 = 2 Semi Tones (Whole Step)
19 = 3 semi tones
24 = 5 semi tones
38 = 1 octave
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Loque

19 Jan 2021

I always thought, it is the full pitch range of the oscillator for each note, that means 100/127=0.787 for a semi tone. My ear says (which is pretty bad), that a octave is around 25-27...
Curious, what others say...
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2021

I was trying it out some more and have to clarify, those figures are for Europa only. Thor seems to behave definitely?

Jagwah

21 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
19 Jan 2021
I was trying it out some more and have to clarify, those figures are for Europa only. Thor seems to behave definitely?
Maybe it was never really designed to hit exact pitches that way so it's never going to do it precisely.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2021

deeplink wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Yea, Thor is different - what exactly are you interested in doing? There are other ways to get more precise pitch…
Selig Audio, LLC

deeplink
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
26 Jan 2021
deeplink wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Yea, Thor is different - what exactly are you interested in doing? There are other ways to get more precise pitch…

Sometimes I want, say the pitch of a note to hold and then gradually move up an octave - as/when played, therefore automation is not desirable. This is achievable using an envelope, however the actual value (amount setting) in the mod matrix varies from device to device.

So I'm hoping to get a table/schedule together of varying amounts of modulation within the mod matrixes of each device to achieve common results - e.g 1 octave, 7 semitones etc.

I hope I'm making sense. If there's a better way please let me know 🙂

• Information