audiblegenius Building Blocks

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Billy+

09 Dec 2020

So a few days ago during Black Friday my brother sent me a link to a new course from the makers of syntorial, the course is called Building Blocks. Currently it has 2 levels and from the looks of it they're covering the basics but using their own unique way.

Has anyone seen or completed it?
What did you think of it?

It's currently £40 a level so it's a bit rich for me.

https://www.audiblegenius.com/unlockFullAccess

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2020

I did have a play when it first came out and I got it over BF (50% off). I still have not had to time to revisit it LOL. but what I can remember it was interesting hence why I grabbed it....

Billy+

09 Dec 2020

I don't actually know if it's worth the money.

It looks interesting but not for anyone who has been into music for over a few years, would be curious if you've found anything "new" from it.

If I was going to buy it I would definitely skip level one from looking at the listenings

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020

It looks interesting but not for anyone who has been into music for over a few years, would be curious if you've found anything "new" from it.

If I was going to buy it I would definitely skip level one from looking at the listenings
I'm going to say thank you, as I'm going to task myself to spend an hour a day doing this, so in a weeks time I report back... maybe I might even do a video about it :)

Billy+

09 Dec 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020

I'm going to say thank you, as I'm going to task myself to spend an hour a day doing this, so in a weeks time I report back... maybe I might even do a video about it :)
That sounds like a plan, I look forward to the review and I actually hope you have something positive to report back.

Billy+

14 Dec 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020

How are you getting on with the review?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Dec 2020

I have not spent the time I should have done on this.

It is basic however I'm enjoying what little of it I have done so far, it has given me some thought and I have always said (with any kind of course) if I walk away with some new knowledge not matter how small then it's worth it.

I'll admit I have only completed the first section of block 1 and without a doubt I have completed more expensive games quicker so I think value for money (as I got it half price) it's worth it (early days though), I just got to make sure I do try to spend an hour a day on this.

Note there are 9 sections in block 1, the 1st section has 9 parts (had a quick look at section 2 which has 10 parts)..

brand

26 Nov 2021

Hi All,

Resurrecting this thread. There is a 50% off sale going on now, 11-26-21 -- 11-29-21 at AudibleGenius for Building Blocks (and I think for Syntorial too, which I already have.) Since I like Syntorial a lot, I figured I'd sign up for the free trial of BB and check it out. They give a 3 day trial, which I assume is whether you use it or not. I'll add some notes here, but signing up for the trial is really the best way to experience the program.

This seems to be completely SAAS, nothing to download. As long as the connection is 100%, 24/7, I'm ok with that. With downloaded software, there's more of an opportunity to be able to use it at any time, regardless of the host's servers. That said, it isn't like this thing is going to be mission critical.

I completed the first part of BB1. As advertised, it presents you with very basic DAW, and Joe gives little talks about what to do, and basics about, for example, the way a bass part locks in with the kick. Sound too basic for you? Well, I've been a bass player for literally decades, and so I know very well about the bass and kick. But in the lessons, one thing to do is to re-create some drum part that's given to you. It's fairly easy at this stage, but I'll be damned if I didn't make an error when my attention wandered for just a second.

For me, doing even these basic things can help make connections I may not have really internalized before. So at 50% off, I find this pretty reasonable. I would get the one-time lifetime access plan, not the monthly plan.

You can be guided through the lessons, or pick and choose. Later in the BB1 sections, the lessons expand to chords, pitch, velocity, etc., all in the DAW. BB2 goes on from BB1 - more of the same, but more advanced, melodies, etc.

As for the DAW, I think there are some features that are locked for the trial. But as far as I can see now, there is no sound treatment like EQ, Compression, etc. It has a mute for a track. This is not really DAW training. So, the program shouldn't be judged on the DAW. It's more music training in a rudimentary DAW environment, which is a good idea.

My verdict?: Building Blocks is very useful. I'm pretty much decided on buying it while it's on sale. It's worthwhile to sign up and fool with it a bit to see if it's right for you. Well, it's back to using some more "free trial" !

• Information