A Window Arrangement that Finally Works for me

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2020

Hi RT

I'm not at my PC at the moment so I have stitched the image together using what I can find on the internet.

As the subject suggests, I find this way of arranging the windows quite useful - and I haven't seen anyone else set it up like this. All you need to do is detach the main mixer and size it show the mix bus and one mix channel. Then size the rack directly next to it. The mix channel in view will change depending on the instrument/track selected. This way, you have access to the mixer, rack and if required the sequencer - but limited only to the selected track/instrument, therefore providing quick access to your general requirements.

Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

12 Aug 2020

this sounds like how I have mine set up, except I have it showing the mix bus and 5 tracks (since I use a lot of group busses). it’s pretty handy, because as you suggest, you can navigate both the rack and mixer from right in the sequencer.

the only downside is it can be limiting when you need to see more of the mixer (like when you’re trying to find the track that’s producing noise during a quieter section, for example). otherwise it’s a great way to work. 👍🏼
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mjxl

13 Aug 2020

I recently started using virtual desktops (Windows 10).
Then also mapped control + scroll to go back and forth the desktops!

You can also set different windows (example the sequencer window) to stick at all times.

This way you'll always have the sequencer available, and can scroll between mixer and rack !
(Also MS Powertools is being reinvented for Win10, and it has some really nice features! (It's open sourced on GitHub))

antic604

23 Aug 2020

Can't see your screenshot, but I understand it's this?

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

deeplink
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2020

antic604 wrote:
23 Aug 2020
Can't see your screenshot, but I understand it's this?

Correct!
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

joeyluck

23 Aug 2020

I've suggested this very arrangement, but with the attached windows for easy resizing (along with a spotlight/inspector view): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7492856

I too have used the detached window arrangement like you, which I found ok for a quick play, but then it becomes cumbersome when you want to resize for a different view. We just need the option built in so it can work much better :)

• Information