How to handle an external Midi Import that doesn't have the original sounds

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dolemitedawiz

18 Jul 2020

Total Reason n00b here

I'm working on teaching myself the basics of Reason 11 (Standard) and one of the things I'm stuck on is MIDI imports. I purchased one of the Reason ReFills with the goal of trying to get what's in my head into Reason. I'm just at the part of learning the application and checking out each aspect of the software to see how I can best use it for my compositions.

So I took one of the MIDI files and imported it (File -> Import MIDI File) and the ID8 comes up with just the piano track and not the original sound(s) (that were included in wav samples in another section of the ReFill). Now as much as I want to learn how to get this imported correctly, I'd like to learn why/the theory behind it too. I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing some steps or do I need to upgrade my Reason to include sounds/instruments that are missing.

1reasonable

18 Jul 2020

I think its probably the MIDI file you're trying to import.
here are some you can try, which should import all the tracks (see attached)

there are lots of free sites with multi-track MIDI files that you can download (some good, some bad)

I enjoy using them as a starting point to make my own arrangements. Just import them, and you should see the individual tracks loading into Reason, then you're away!
Attachments
Archive.zip
(46.77 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

• Information