Peak compressor vs limiter

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Aqumen

14 Jul 2020

Hey guys just a quick question. Reasons channel compressor has a peak rms feature. Does engaging the peak button mean that the compressor is now a functioning as a limiter? Should I use it in conjunction with the fast attack button? I watched a tutorial and the guy basically said that once you switch on the peak button the compressor becomes a limiter? So if i use the peak feature but with a low ratio and slow attack, am i still limiting? I ask because everything I've read about limiting says that limiters have fast attacks and high ratios. Some please help me figure this out. Thanks.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jul 2020

I don't think so, but I'm not sure, I think the peak will just react faster. I don't use that compressor at all so I can't remember, not a fan of SSL compressors. A compressor and a limiter are the same thing and only really differ in a couple of things, the most important being the ratio. A compressor will let a lot more stuff through than a limiter, which can function as a brick wall.

Djstarski

15 Jul 2020

This is from the Reason manual

"PEAK button
When activated this changes the signal detection from RMS to Peak, which results in an instant attack time. Peak mode is suitable for compression of sounds with fast attacks like drums". i hope this can help .

Loque

15 Jul 2020

AFAIR the SSL compressors do not have infinite ratio and therefor cannot act as a limiter, regardless how fast they react to the signal.
Reason12, Win10

• Information