Mono to Poly with Stock devices ?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
NDKay

Post 24 Jun 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
22 Jun 2020
NDKay wrote:
21 Jun 2020

btw: i downloaded the patches from poohbear..... the first gives me 4 DSP bars, the second goes Full Red DSP ( both without even making a sound :lol:)
I did not realise they were that heavy, as per my videos in some of them I have several running at the same time...

Anyway just had a play with your patch, nice one...

FTI: I think the Blamsoft Polymodular system is well worth the money...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... -system-i/

PoohBear.
First i would like to ask you if you think that a pick-up or a semi would run on one liter of gasoline ? ;-)
Second i would clarify that this comes down to my Laptop from 2011 ( yeah, i´m on the way to a new one)

thanks for the nice word ;-)

i know of the blamsoft bundle... to be honest, i trialed the devices (some years ago) and found nothing bad around them, except me :lol:
- i thought i would not use them that often and everytime seeing other things i dont (or raaaarely) use gives me a really bad feelin. :cry:

But a that time i was not really anything near "modular" , which now has changed alot.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

NDKay

Post 24 Jun 2020

ljekio wrote:
20 Jun 2020
CVPT player from Lectric Panda.
A-Series 2 Modular Synth
Some of control devices from Hamu.
I tried it with CVPT and could not achieve it. For me it just works as a splitter - meaning pushing one key will get ALL synths to play the same.

Or did you meant CVPT in combination with(the) other devices ?

ljekio

Post 24 Jun 2020

Outputs of CVPT will split polyphonic midi input signal by 16 separate channels.
If you press chord with 3 notes, 3 outputs will active.

NDKay

Post 24 Jun 2020

The first time i did that i got the same result as the second time from where i was reffering to, now i did it again and now it works. (sort of)

Playing a 3 key chord will put out 1 voice for the first key, another for the second and then 6 Voices for the last key ? O.o
Playing a 5 key chord will go to 1,1,1,1,4
so the "splitting" is still happening
and the retrig sounds very chopped off.

I think i was irritated the first times because of me playing one key and seeing ALL synths playing and so i thought it does not work.

So yeah, its polyphonic, but in a rather problematic way, because playing chords with different "number of keys" will not only result in a volume change, it will also emphasize one key of the chord too much. the last thing could be a creative possibility, but again depends on taste and context.

Thank you for your help :thumbs_up:

PS: Or i did something wrong again :lol:
Last edited by NDKay on 24 Jun 2020, edited 2 times in total.

ljekio

Post 24 Jun 2020

There is one correct way to controlled manage of separation of voices actually.
This is Blamsoft :)

NDKay

Post 24 Jun 2020

Yeah, i already came to the same conclusion. But now i have a (real, not just perceived) justification for getting the bundle ! :lol:

And like i already mentioned, its good for educational matters.

Sterioevo

Post 24 Jun 2020

Depending on how many voices were setup, this method could play only one voice (instrument), up to all voices (instruments) or any combination as "baked-in", for a single key press/gate.
Input gates will always be monophonic, similar to how a monophonic instrument deals with multiple simultaneous notes.
To play a chord there must be a slight timing difference in the key presses/gates.

To think of it a different way, this method would force a single polyphonic instrument to behave in a monophonic way. You would only be able to trigger a single voice instantaneously for each gate signal per instrument.

If I am understanding your question correctly, polyphony is "baked-in" to how many devices have "receive notes" activated /step.

Edit, above is in response to previous question @NDKay

NDKay

Post 25 Jun 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
24 Jun 2020
Depending on how many voices were setup, this method could play only one voice (instrument), up to all voices (instruments) or any combination as "baked-in", for a single key press/gate.
Input gates will always be monophonic, similar to how a monophonic instrument deals with multiple simultaneous notes.
To play a chord there must be a slight timing difference in the key presses/gates.

To think of it a different way, this method would force a single polyphonic instrument to behave in a monophonic way. You would only be able to trigger a single voice instantaneously for each gate signal per instrument.

If I am understanding your question correctly, polyphony is "baked-in" to how many devices have "receive notes" activated /step.

No. It´s that the input gates will stay monophonic which causes the timing difference needed while playing.

"Perceived" or "Real" polyphony would be just the "technical" aspekt if i may say so, if you know what you do it wont be a difference in sound, more in the way of achieving it.

By "Real" polyphony i mean the amount of input signals i give in will also come out and dont stop until i stop the signal. This is just limited by how many voices are in the synth - lets say 8 Voice - for example playing 5 keys will activate 5 Voices no matter if i press them exactly at the same time or one after another. As long i hold one key down i will hear that tone no matter if i press another key, which will activate its own voice. This behavior stops if i press already 8 keys down and play a 9th - which will retrigger the "oldest triggered" voice.
short: The Voices tell me how many keys i can play and hear at the same time without them interfering.

Carly(Poohbear)

Post 25 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
25 Jun 2020
Sterioevo wrote:
24 Jun 2020

No. It´s that the input gates will stay monophonic which causes the timing difference needed while playing.

"Perceived" or "Real" polyphony would be just the "technical" aspekt if i may say so, if you know what you do it wont be a difference in sound, more in the way of achieving it.

By "Real" polyphony i mean the amount of input signals i give in will also come out and dont stop until i stop the signal. This is just limited by how many voices are in the synth - lets say 8 Voice - for example playing 5 keys will activate 5 Voices no matter if i press them exactly at the same time or one after another. As long i hold one key down i will hear that tone no matter if i press another key, which will activate its own voice. This behavior stops if i press already 8 keys down and play a 9th - which will retrigger the "oldest triggered" voice.
short: The Voices tell me how many keys i can play and hear at the same time without them interfering.
Note: Voices are the number of signal paths in the synth, hence you could have 8 voices but still have a monophonic synth as they could be playing all the same note.

NDKay

Post 25 Jun 2020

Yes, thats what i try to divide by "real" polyphony. Because there are other polyphonys which were not the ones i was trying to aim with this thread. It was kind of exactly what i wrote above.

...And would that not be same principle for the number of OSC´s in a synth when you take it precisely ? for example monotone which has 2 OSC´s but is monophonic because both play at the same time ? (yeah you could detune, but you wont get one OSC at key1 and OSC2 at key2 to play. or ? )
So "technically" Monotone is a Monosynth with 2 Voices.... right ? .....not ?

that was my understanding about that matter.

edit: lets better not start about paraphonic ! :lol:

splitpen

Post 24 Sep 2020

Bit of late reaction, but you can do this with Korde sequencer too. Connect all the mono phonic devices on the back on a different lane, use midi to play the Korde. You can get 8 voices that way. Also possible to make really cool sequenced chords that way, and playing with note lengte etc.

• Information