Can you guys refer me to a good online tutorial on how to split a loop

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
webpro

01 Jun 2020

Can you guys refer me to a good online tutorial on how to split an audio loop, so that each sound has it's own track.
Ex: Real drummer/drum loop
Fader 1 = kick
Fader 2 = snare
etc...

Or just plain tell me in here in fact lol!

Thanks

WarStar

01 Jun 2020

Well unfortunately that's really not possible..

You might be able to flip phase and eq out the parts you want and null that loop with a identical track... But that's really not sufficient for what you're shooting for.. so no, you really can't do that with current technology. At least to my knowledge..

DaveyG

01 Jun 2020

If the loop is fairly clean you can get some way to what you want with Accusonus Regroover VST.

The results are variable but it usually manages to split out the kick at least. Try the demo. The Essential version is often on sale at pluginboutique.com (although not at the moment).

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2020

I use Dr Octa Rex for this, often not playing the loop but rather using the sounds on their own outputs and playing a new part with those sounds. You can import any audio and slice it up and convert it to a REX file to do the same thing with your own samples. There's not a lot to explain, really - are you familiar with REX files and Dr Octa Rex?
Selig Audio, LLC

webpro

02 Jun 2020

Ahhh i see! So once it's under DR.REX, you can split into multiple tracks. I will try to find some tutorials regarding this on the web. I'll post this back in here if i ever find something. Might help others in the futur!
Cheers
Andre

selig
RE Developer

02 Jun 2020

webpro wrote:
02 Jun 2020
Ahhh i see! So once it's under DR.REX, you can split into multiple tracks. I will try to find some tutorials regarding this on the web. I'll post this back in here if i ever find something. Might help others in the futur!
Cheers
Andre
Assuming you have the loop sliced and loaded into Dr Octa Rex already (which you can do in Reason with the Slice Editor, then convert to REX to load into Dr Octa Rex)…
I set the editor in Dr Octa Rex to follow MIDI, so I can play a note/slice on my keyboard and that slice is automatically selected. Then I simply adjust the output to 3/4 or 5/6 as I play through the slices and find the ones that work. I typically leave kicks on the main 1/2 out, snares on 3/4 and hats on 5/6. Next, create a Mix Channel for each additional output pair, and route cables accordingly.
You can often find a separate kick, snare, and hat from the loop, but if not some clever filtering can often accomplish this. In some cases you may want to use a different loop or a separate sample if you can't find a clean "hit" for all the desired sounds in the loop.
There are further techniques to turn these slices into cleaner samples for loading into ReDrum or Kong. Sometimes just reducing the "decay" parameter (NOT the envelope, the "per slice" decay parameter) helps to clean up a sample, or turn an open hat into a closed hat.
Happy to answer specific questions if you have them - this can be a deep subject, lots of options and different ways to work!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information