Autosampling

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 May 2020

Has anyone figured out a way to autosample and make NN-XT patches?

I know FL Studio has the DirectWave Sampler where you just load a VST and it will do all notes and velocity layers + mapping in one click.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

jam-s

29 May 2020

I think there are dedicated tools for this that will sample a whole range of midi notes for a given set of midi CCs and save the recoded audio into logically names .wav files. Reason is none of those tools.

Sterioevo

29 May 2020

This is possible with Reason, not as immediately intuitive, but potentially powerful none the less.

Write the desired notes into the sequencer, and then bounce in place or setup a Rec Source audio track to record the output. I normally do a full bar or more for individual notes to allow the note to release fully. Record, razor up the samples as required, "bounce clips to new samples" and export.

An additional method to automate the sampling process involves using the patch change remote override with a virtual midi loopback, allowing for patches to be changed. I do this for example to "auto" record one-shot samples of a folder of synth presets. You are required to record in realtime for this method to work, which is not necessarily an issue for me personally - sometimes I walk away, other times I play around while the recording is taking place to add variety and interest to samples, and in some cases this is the only way to sample things such as sample start manipulations in the NN-XT. To do this I combine a Midi Out and assign a button to a midi cc, send this to a virtual port that is assigned as a midi controller in the preferences and then assign the parameter as a remote override attached to the patch change on the device. I then write required automation for the button and simply copy the notes and automation across the time as many times as required.

Sure there are much easier solutions, and I am yet to try Apple's new (or updated EXS) solution. In my experience you have to roll your sleeves up and spend some serious time whenever working with multi-sampling. I personally really value the propellerhead approach to "bounce clips to new samples" and export capabilities. The naming capabilities are not ideal though, however, this is not insurmountable to work with for my own personal use.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 May 2020

Well yeah, I know the hard way.
But what amazed me about DirectWave was you just specify how many layers and note interval. Then it will record and do all layers for you, one click... A ton of sample packs have NN-XT patches, it wouldn't make sense if all those are made the hard way.

Thus my question, must be a fast way, no?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Sterioevo

29 May 2020

ok. well no obviously

Sterioevo

29 May 2020

unless any of these 3rd party applications export to the NN-XT format? You could always use chicken systems translator to do the conversion. Not one click, but a few, plus a bit of coin...

DaveyG

30 May 2020

Best in class is SampleRobot, but you won't like the price!

https://samplerobot.com/

QVprod

30 May 2020

If you happen to be a Mac user. You could buy Mainstage ($30) to use the auto sampler function. It's been there for years. You can then use the resulting samples in the NNXT. It won't be mapped for you, but the NNXT has pitch detection and can map samples across the keyboard accordingly.Will require editing, but so does any auto sampled patch in my experience.

• Information