Leveling a synth track

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Nerveclinic

29 Apr 2020

Hi Everyone.

I need some technical expertise if possible. I am working on a track where I have a synth sound that for whatever reason (One reason is use of LP filter movement) the sound is sometimes too quiet and also too loud.

I am looking for a technic to level the track. I know Selig Leveler is for vocals, but does it work on Instrument sounds also?

Are there any other technics I am not familiar with? Something that works similar to a leveler?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

nerveclinic

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

Selig Leveler, Compressors, Maximizers, Clippers, Limiters. They do things differently, but with basically the same end goal, to reduce dynamics. (There are exception where you can increase dynamics, but that is not what you are looking for)

Combining different methods can be quite useful. Best is to experiment so you get a feel how they work. There is no rule than one of them can only be used for a particular type of sound.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Jackjackdaw

29 Apr 2020

I had a similar situation recently, spent ages trying to compress the sound into shape but it wasn't working. Ended up having to go back into the synth patch and tame the modulation. As with everything, it's better to have your source material up to scratch than trying to fix stuff in post. That said, if you do spend all that time messing around with the compressers, limiters etc, you will get to know what they do much better!

Nerveclinic

29 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Selig Leveler, Compressors, Maximizers, Clippers, Limiters. They do things differently, but with basically the same end goal, to reduce dynamics. (There are exception where you can increase dynamics, but that is not what you are looking for)

Combining different methods can be quite useful. Best is to experiment so you get a feel how they work. There is no rule than one of them can only be used for a particular type of sound.
I use a compressor and a limiter on every track. I think I'll look into using the Selig and see how that works.

Nerveclinic

29 Apr 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I had a similar situation recently, spent ages trying to compress the sound into shape but it wasn't working. Ended up having to go back into the synth patch and tame the modulation. As with everything, it's better to have your source material up to scratch than trying to fix stuff in post. That said, if you do spend all that time messing around with the compressers, limiters etc, you will get to know what they do much better!
Thanks, it's definitely not the source material being "up to scratch" it sounds great just like it is which is why I don't want to change it. It has a really intense sound and I am turning up and down a LP filter to get some dynamics. Obviously when full open it's a lot louder. I don't need to get them totally level, just trying to get them closer because now when I open all the way and turn down the volume so it doesn't go into red, when I come back to the heavy filter you don't Really hear the sound at all.

Sounds like I should see what I can do wit the Selig Leveler.

Thanks.

WarStar

29 Apr 2020

Grab the KiloHearts Limiter.. super simple and works well.. just don't slam it, just a few dbs at max.. I use it quite a bit to get things a tad louder with more character while taming peaks for further processing

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2020

Will if you are automating filtering then the natural thing to do is to automate the level as well.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Kalm

30 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Thanks, it's definitely not the source material being "up to scratch" it sounds great just like it is which is why I don't want to change it. It has a really intense sound and I am turning up and down a LP filter to get some dynamics. Obviously when full open it's a lot louder. I don't need to get them totally level, just trying to get them closer because now when I open all the way and turn down the volume so it doesn't go into red, when I come back to the heavy filter you don't Really hear the sound at all.

Sounds like I should see what I can do wit the Selig Leveler.

Thanks.
Try setting the device in the combinator and creating a macro routing for the filter. When you open up the filter, the master volume decreases and vice versa. This is how I make all my synths/combinators when there's level changes due to effects like what you described, distortion and changing envelopes. And then like people have said, compressors and limiters. SSL style compression is actually really handy for synths since they have a long range of release times but very snappy on transients.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

selig
RE Developer

30 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I am looking for a technic to level the track. I know Selig Leveler is for vocals, but does it work on Instrument sounds also?
Leveler was never intended to be a "vocal" effect! It just so happened it works great for vocals, but I use it all the time on drums, synths, bass - anything I want to make louder.

That said, I'd also try tying the filter automation to volume, inverting it so the lower the filter the higher the volume. In the end you may need both.
The only reason I'd not reach for a traditional compressor/limiter is that you may need a large amount of limiting, which will be heard when the filter is all the way open. To have an attack time fast enough to catch transients you will have potential pumping when using large amounts of gain reduction. If you need 10 dB or more transparent level control, this is where I'd reach for the Leveler. OK, honestly, I reach for the leveler in all cases where I need to bring up low level signals since that's what it does best, but I'm 100% biased! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Nerveclinic

30 Apr 2020

WarStar wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Grab the KiloHearts Limiter.. super simple and works well.. just don't slam it, just a few dbs at max.. I use it quite a bit to get things a tad louder with more character while taming peaks for further processing
As fate would have it I already own this, I will give it a try.

Nerveclinic

30 Apr 2020

Kalm wrote:
30 Apr 2020

creating a macro routing for the filter. When you open up the filter, the master volume decreases and vice versa.
This sounds great, but know clue how to do it. Can you point me toward a video tutorial?

Nerveclinic

30 Apr 2020

Looks like Mr. Selig is in the house! Nice. I use your gain effect all the time.
selig wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Nerveclinic wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Leveler was never intended to be a "vocal" effect! It just so happened it works great for vocals, but I use it all the time on drums, synths, bass - anything I want to make louder.
That's interesting, the tutorials I see are for vocals. Good to know the instrument assumption was correct.
That said, I'd also try tying the filter automation to volume, inverting it so the lower the filter the higher the volume.
Definitely going to look into this, sounds like a great tool. Do you know of a good tutorial demonstrating this concept?

The only reason I'd not reach for a traditional compressor/limiter is that you may need a large amount of limiting, which will be heard when the filter is all the way open.
I use a compressor (Softube) and a limiter (Izotope) on every track. A lot of this has to do with a specific sound I am going for, very layered and thick electronic rather than anything "natural sounding". I feel like each sound improves with both of these.
If you need 10 dB or more transparent level control, this is where I'd reach for the Leveler. OK, honestly, I reach for the leveler in all cases where I need to bring up low level signals since that's what it does best, but I'm 100% biased! ;)
I will reach for it also...thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Off to discover how to chain a filter to a volume control...

Kalm

30 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Kalm wrote:
30 Apr 2020

creating a macro routing for the filter. When you open up the filter, the master volume decreases and vice versa.
This sounds great, but know clue how to do it. Can you point me toward a video tutorial?
If I can’t find one I can probably make that my next tutorial video.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Nerveclinic

30 Apr 2020

Kalm wrote:
30 Apr 2020

Please let me know if you do.

If I search You tube, what we be the best "search terms"?

Kalm

30 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Kalm wrote:
30 Apr 2020

Synth combinators or controlling parameters combinators

Kalm

02 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
30 Apr 2020
Kalm wrote:
30 Apr 2020

Here's the video. Just uploaded!

Nerveclinic

02 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020

Oh man that's amazing. I will check it out tomorrow!

WarStar

02 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020
Nerveclinic wrote:
30 Apr 2020

Great video kalm! The combi is something I don't know much about, except some stuff I picked up years ago but never really utilized it. So thanks, I'll definitely be using the combis features alot more because of this..

What kind of music do you typically produce?

Kalm

02 May 2020

WarStar wrote:
02 May 2020
Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020

Great video kalm! The combi is something I don't know much about, except some stuff I picked up years ago but never really utilized it. So thanks, I'll definitely be using the combis features alot more because of this..

A fusion of boom bap, downtempo, electronics, hip hop, R&B, ambient.

My mating genre is electro soul. Here’s a song I produced for a friend of mine a couple years back - https://music.apple.com/us/album/steppi ... 1452112002

WarStar

02 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020
WarStar wrote:
02 May 2020

A fusion of boom bap, downtempo, electronics, hip hop, R&B, ambient.

My mating genre is electro soul. Here’s a song I produced for a friend of mine a couple years back - https://music.apple.com/us/album/steppi ... 1452112002
Nice man! Yeah, your pads are awesome! Well done

Nerveclinic

09 May 2020

Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020

I just wanted to come back here and tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to make the video and more importantly to tell you it is awesome. What a great technique for adjusting volume with the filter.

Thanks so much and I am now a subscriber to your channel.

Kalm

09 May 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
09 May 2020
Kalm wrote:
02 May 2020

I just wanted to come back here and tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to make the video and more importantly to tell you it is awesome. What a great technique for adjusting volume with the filter.

Thanks so much and I am now a subscriber to your channel.
Awesome man. And thank you for the appreciation! I’m just glad people found it useful.

• Information