How to change an existing out-of-view key binding

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
EdwardKiy

20 Mar 2020

So I swapped the ridiculous key bind of the "stop" button and "metronome click" almost at the start of learning to use Reason, and I'd love to change some more, but ones in the rightclick context menus, like reset device to init patch and such, but thought it can't be done exactly for that reason - they are out of immediate view.

But then I saw this:
Mods on macs.JPG
Mods on macs.JPG (86.05 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Sooo..... how is this done? And is there a way to edit commands such as these:
Key bindings.JPG
Key bindings.JPG (23.86 KiB) Viewed 541 times
and getting a little ahead of myself, what if I wanted them to open and close with the same button - would that be possible?

I'm on windows 10. Thanks!

joeyluck

20 Mar 2020

On macOS you can edit keyboard shortcuts for any application's menu items under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. I'm not sure if there is something similar built into Windows?

But yes, at least on macOS you can assign the command to work for two actions. For instance, I assigned ⌘F for both 'Enter Full Screen' and 'Exit Full Screen'. And I changed 'Create Effect..' (which I don't use and was previously ⌘F) to [Shift]+⌘F. So if there is a solution for Windows, perhaps it will work the same? If not built in like macOS, maybe there is third party software that can do it?

EdwardKiy

20 Mar 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Mar 2020
On macOS you can edit keyboard shortcuts for any application's menu items under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. I'm not sure if there is something similar built into Windows?

But yes, at least on macOS you can assign the command to work for two actions. For instance, I assigned ⌘F for both 'Enter Full Screen' and 'Exit Full Screen'. And I changed 'Create Effect..' (which I don't use and was previously ⌘F) to [Shift]+⌘F. So if there is a solution for Windows, perhaps it will work the same? If not built in like macOS, maybe there is third party software that can do it?
Thanks man. Looking into it, although I'm halfway sure it's just mac by now. And for letting me know about the apple mouse/arc mouse solution in that other thread. Even though it got me pissed off because it's so completely backwards, but at least it's that. Thanks again.

• Information