What's This Sound?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

Post 01 Feb 2020

Hi All!

Was tryna work out what this sound was in the new Noel Gallagher track. The one at 2m09s that sounds like a dog barking.

I've come to the conclusion it's a sample (probably with further manipulation) or has been created on a synth?

Also, does anyone else find the sound familiar? I do. I've heard it somewhere before.

Thanks!
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

orthodox

Post 01 Feb 2020

I think it's based on a human voice sample. The rest is done with amp and filter envelopes and maybe pitch shifting.

I remember what really sounded as dog barking, on Pink Floyd Animals album. It could be done with vocoder, but I think it was a pure synth.

at 10:39
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

Creativemind

Post 01 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
01 Feb 2020
I think it's based on a human voice sample. The rest is done with amp and filter envelopes and maybe pitch shifting.

I remember what really sounded as dog barking, on Pink Floyd Animals album. It could be done with vocoder, but I think it was a pure synth.

at 10:39
Yeah that Animals album is a classic. What a tune "Dogs" is.

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5

SynthGang

Post 01 Feb 2020

When I read the “word” animals in the same sentence as Pink Floyd, all I can think of is a time when I was browsing through my dad’s record collection (he’s a huge Pink Floyd fan), and coming across Ummagumma. When “Several Small Species of Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving” came on I was just speechless lol.. As I understand it though the members of Pink Floyd were basically pioneers when it came to sampling and using found sounds in their recordings.

As for the sound in Noel’s track I agree though, to my ear the sound you’re looking to reproduce is almost certainly based on a vocal sample.

By the way, if you guys haven’t seen it before, YouTube’s Weird History channel has a very cool piece about this very subject you guys should check out:

Cheers, SG

Busta US

Post 01 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Was tryna work out what this sound was in the new Noel Gallagher track. The one at 2m09s that sounds like a dog barking.

I've come to the conclusion it's a sample (probably with further manipulation) or has been created on a synth?

Also, does anyone else find the sound familiar? I do. I've heard it somewhere before.

Thanks!
You mean the sound that goes " ah...AH....ah...aH...ah..ah..ah (ah) (ah) (ah) (ah)

On my laptop speakers it doesn't sound like dog barking at all, rather a voice saying Ah with filters and delay at the end :)
Last edited by Busta US on 01 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Busta US

Post 01 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Thanks!
You mean the sound that goes " ah...AH....ah...aH...ah..ah..ah (ah) (ah) (ah) (ah)" (and this part is great, btw)

On my laptop speakers it doesn't sound like dog barking at all, rather a voice saying Ah with filters and delay at the end :)

chimp_spanner

Post 04 Feb 2020

Yeah it's just really heavily filtered vocal chops/fragments. There's a similar sound in Output's Exhale!
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

2017 MBP | 16GB | Steinberg UR44 | Reason 10.4 | Cubase Pro 10.5

pushedbutton

Post 04 Feb 2020

Just sounds like a reverby 'Ah' to me.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Creativemind

Post 06 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Hi All!

Thanks!
You mean the sound that goes " ah...AH....ah...aH...ah..ah..ah (ah) (ah) (ah) (ah)

Yeah kinda sounds like both.

selig

Post 06 Feb 2020

Has a bit of a "Running Up That Hill" sound to me, probably a vocal sample?
Selig Audio, LLC

Proboscis

Post 06 Feb 2020

Well, there was that time when Pink Floyd actually had special guest vocalist Seamus the dog (Small Faces' Steve Marriot's pet pooch) on a track of the same name, off their 'Meddle' album. Man that was a shit song :lol:

• Information