City Pop Sound Emulation Questions

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
DynaChyner

08 Jan 2020

Hi! I’m fairly new to using Reason (and DAWs in general) and I have had trouble trying to make some music for my video game. I have a huge fascination of city pop, but i can’t figure out how to make the guitar sound right, no matter what I try. There aren’t that many tutorials for it either, and the few examples I know are for actual guitars
Here is a playlist of the album I am inspired by. The lead guitar on the third track is the specific sound I wish to emulate: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SebwCRK5wm
(I’ve also been looking for a good piano/synth sound for the keyboard in the first track, but I haven’t had the proper opportunity to search yet)
I’ve read that the most useful pedals for what I want are the chorus and the compressor, but using them still doesn’t give me the desired effect. Does anyone have any tips? I don’t really want to resort to paying for patches unfortunately, but if there are any good ones for what I am after please let me know

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jan 2020

Hi

That I am 99.9% sure #3 is a real guitar!!! I know the horror. These sound like pretty skilled Jazz players to me, not a bunch of VST moused in. This why it feels so alive.

The first track is probably a Digital Electric Paino styled on the Rhodes and particularly the DX-7 imitation of it. That you can do with Europa in particular.

If you can't play like this the sounds won't ever feel right. You could have exactly those Patches on those Instruments with those Effects and you'd swear they were the wrong ones. I know because I had to learn this myself the hard way. What is turning you (and me) on is the work of the Composer, Arranger, and Players - Notes & Timing.

If you have good compositions I can probably assist you in Sound Design and Mix if you are happy to let me know about your game. Otherwise, I can Compose but it won't sound like Jazz Disco as sadly I don't have that in me no matter how much I wish I did.

:-)

Shakatak

Me (it's a joke piece)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

DynaChyner

09 Jan 2020

Benedict wrote:
08 Jan 2020
Hi

That I am 99.9% sure #3 is a real guitar!!! I know the horror. These sound like pretty skilled Jazz players to me, not a bunch of VST moused in. This why it feels so alive.

The first track is probably a Digital Electric Paino styled on the Rhodes and particularly the DX-7 imitation of it. That you can do with Europa in particular.

If you can't play like this the sounds won't ever feel right. You could have exactly those Patches on those Instruments with those Effects and you'd swear they were the wrong ones. I know because I had to learn this myself the hard way. What is turning you (and me) on is the work of the Composer, Arranger, and Players - Notes & Timing.

If you have good compositions I can probably assist you in Sound Design and Mix if you are happy to let me know about your game. Otherwise, I can Compose but it won't sound like Jazz Disco as sadly I don't have that in me no matter how much I wish I did.

Shakatak

Me (it's a joke piece)
Hi Benedict! Thank you for responding
I knew that the guitar in number 3 was likely a real guitar, but I don’t actually own one nor do I really know how to play one. However my college should have some guitar players wishing to help, or I can find a similar sound
Also thank you for the Europa suggestion for the piano and synth. I’ll check it out first thing in the morning

If you wish to learn more about the game and all that, I am more than happy to send you a private message on the game itself and some example tracks I have composed
Again, I ain’t that good; the game itself is something I am working on during my spare time lol

I appreciate your help

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2020

I wish it were as simple as having a guitar or a friend with one. Unless your pal happens to be Chris Rea, Mark Knopfler, or Eric Clapton it won't sound (or FEEL being the real word) like that. And even if your pal is one of those names, it still may not feel like that as each player has their feel (or none at all if they are a terrible player).

The thing with music (and any form of creativity) is to build your own feel. Or to work with people who can do what you cannot and accept their feel.

Happy to hear about your game.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information