Asio4all workaround for DAW blocking other sounds

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dezma

11 Dec 2019

So I bumped into this video (link below) which solved this annoying problem when using asio4all, starting your DAW will make all other playing apps stop playback.
It's some kind of virtual bussing app.

Steps:
1) Install app - https://download.vb-audio.com/Download_ ... oSetup.exe
2) Set windows playback to voicemeeter input
3) Open DAW and set audio to VB audio voicemeter AUX. Voicemeeter VAIO channel will handle the windows sounds, Voicemeeter AUX your DAW sounds
4) In voicemeeter banana mixer app, go to menu and check system tray, hook volume keys
5) It's donateware so I'm gonna let it run for a few weeks and then donate some $$'s if it's still working fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yEp5mXNv1A

Supernova

26 Dec 2019

Hello, I am new with Reason 10 Lite.
I have to record playing my Korg D1 with M1 le in Reason. All what I see and hear is the green "arrow" flashing while using the keyboard - that sounds with the M1 le sound. The problem is that I can' t find a way to record in midi form the E keyboard.

Supernova

26 Dec 2019

I tryed everything :wtf: until after one day I did the first midi recording. This was done by accident and I saved the document in order to understend how that recording could happen :shock: . After one hour :oops: I discovered how I could do my first recording:
I didn't know how to extend the window in order to show me the recording bar of the rack :oops: , that stayed hidden until I discovered that above on the right I could extend the window with the arrow :arrow: staying there. I tried to use for hours only the "Windows window Extension" :lol: and with that system the recording bar stayed hidden.
Very very nice. I will send you some recordings if it is possible.

ShelLuser

26 Dec 2019

This is a dumb thread, no personal offense intended, but if you don't want to have exclusive control over an audio interface then... don't use ASIO. Use whatever driver your OS provides so it can operate in shared mode.

Now, I don't just downtalk, there's a reason behind it. The reason why I think this is plain out dumb is because you obviously don't understand the reasoning behind ASIO and how it works (and why!). ASIO bypasses several layers of your OS which normal drivers would take and instead it accesses the hardware as directly as possible. The reason for this should be obvious: latency, or better: the reduction of it.

Taking control of an audio device is what defines ASIO. So to try and bypass that... sorry, that looks plain out stupid to me. It defies the very thing why ASIO became a thing!

So instead: just use whatever driver your OS provides. I mean.. why not? It's obvious you don't care about latency in the first place.

Also also (no typo): use a dedicated audio interface for your DAW will do wonders too. I have 2 pairs of speakers around my PC: one connected to my normal (internal) soundcard (used by Windows on default) and 2 studio monitors hooked onto my Komplete Audio 6 which are used by my DAW through ASIO (I even use Asio4All sporadically).

When I'm messing with my audio I can still enjoy Youtube using my normal speakers ;)
--- :reason:

Oquasec

27 Dec 2019

asio4all kinda the king of that
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

dezma

02 Jan 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
26 Dec 2019
This is a dumb thread, no personal offense intended, but if you don't want to have exclusive control over an audio interface then... don't use ASIO. Use whatever driver your OS provides so it can operate in shared mode.

Now, I don't just downtalk, there's a reason behind it. The reason why I think this is plain out dumb is because you obviously don't understand the reasoning behind ASIO and how it works (and why!). ASIO bypasses several layers of your OS which normal drivers would take and instead it accesses the hardware as directly as possible. The reason for this should be obvious: latency, or better: the reduction of it.

Taking control of an audio device is what defines ASIO. So to try and bypass that... sorry, that looks plain out stupid to me. It defies the very thing why ASIO became a thing!

So instead: just use whatever driver your OS provides. I mean.. why not? It's obvious you don't care about latency in the first place.

Also also (no typo): use a dedicated audio interface for your DAW will do wonders too. I have 2 pairs of speakers around my PC: one connected to my normal (internal) soundcard (used by Windows on default) and 2 studio monitors hooked onto my Komplete Audio 6 which are used by my DAW through ASIO (I even use Asio4All sporadically).

When I'm messing with my audio I can still enjoy Youtube using my normal speakers ;)
You might consider getting some additional English classes using dumb and no offense in the same sentence. Your response is downright offensive while I'm just sharing a workaround with the community. If you don't like it, leave it and don't start acting like a smartass starting to explain the very basics every producer with a little experience knows.

Not that I owe you an explanation but here's my use case:

On my laptop that I use occasionally for producing, I want to be able to run a DAW in low latency in combination with windows sounds, for obvious reasons such as e.g. following a youtube tutorial. This workaround provides this. I can run Studio One and play/tweak VST's with 6ms delay vs 40ms using the windows driver.

The only reason I ever use asio4all, like most others, is using a sub-optimal internal/non dedicated audio device with better latency so I only use this when not on my desktop workstation (with dedicated external soundcard/asio drivers).

demt

02 Jan 2020

it says dont quote me
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

dan_g

03 Jan 2020

i don't use asio for all but i defenitly find this information helpful. i started using voicemeeter banana for streaming purposes a few months ago, to route my mic and all sources i want (daw, firefox audio) to obs. maybe i can use this when i want more buffer size (>1024 ) which i can do in asio4all.

on another note: my soundcard had a internal loopback before but for people without this its extremly helpfull when you want to sample stuff from youtube or elswere.

this is great info.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

• Information