Need tips/help to recreate this sound!

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Devilsgirth

19 Nov 2019

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you pros might be able to give me some tips and tricks. I'm trying to recreate a synth from a loop (see "Pop Loop" attachment), but am finding it quite difficult as I'm new to Reason. The synth is a flute - like sounding rhythm, and I just can't get it. I've attached my Crappy Loop file to show what I've got so far, it's as close as I've been able to get. If anyone can give any advice or tips that would be fantastic, thank you.
Attachments
Pop Loop.mp3
(120.81 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Crappy Loop.mp3
(120.81 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2019

Ummm, I wonder why you do this but it is good experience so...

If it were me I would probably use the slicing feature to assist me.
1. Import the Loop at exactly the right tempo
2. Chop to 16ths or whatever the basic rhythm components are (is it swung or triplets?)
3. Analyze each slice, paying attention to what happens there in ever-increasing detail - think onion skins
4. Re-Create what I hear in my new track/s

Even if I didn't want the drums & bass, I probably would still add them to get the overall groove right. Or at least I'd play my new part against the original to see how "tight" they are.

From what I hear there, your sound is a bit simple & flat compared to the original. Theirs tends to a slower attack (drums take up the attack) and is warmer so don't be afraid to roll off some highs, add some room reverb and maybe even EQ in some body. I'd probably use a Resonator like the kHs RE - or even Scream "Body" to give the flute an overall character.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Devilsgirth

20 Nov 2019

Thank you so much for your advice Benedict. You’re exactly right, mine is very basic and thin sounding, doesn’t have the warmth or richness of the original. The reason I’m trying to recreate this is that this loop is from a song me and a buddy made on an old keyboard years ago, and we are trying to recreate the song for an album release. I will give this a shot.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

Devilsgirth wrote:
20 Nov 2019
Thank you so much for your advice Benedict. You’re exactly right, mine is very basic and thin sounding, doesn’t have the warmth or richness of the original. The reason I’m trying to recreate this is that this loop is from a song me and a buddy made on an old keyboard years ago, and we are trying to recreate the song for an album release. I will give this a shot.
Thanks for the update.

I wouldn't be re-making this sound in isolation as when you listen to the whole loop compared to just the flute, you don't get the same vibe overall so your flute will feel dead anyway as it lacks any interaction.

You will never really get the exact sound as there are so many variables so instead, work on creating a new take on that track.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Devilsgirth

23 Nov 2019

Question: my synth is comprised of a few different instruments blended together in the combinator - should I EQ each instrument in the combinator separately or just EQ them all together, or both?

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2019

Devilsgirth wrote:
23 Nov 2019
Question: my synth is comprised of a few different instruments blended together in the combinator - should I EQ each instrument in the combinator separately or just EQ them all together, or both?
Well that depends.

I like to work from the outside in, so I have the outcome I want (usually more a feel/vibe than a rule of ow a sound should be) then look at how I can get closer to that feel.

If the whole sound needs more 3k then I'll boost the Combi. If only one part needs moe 3k then I'll boost only that layer.

The more you know your sound and the piece it is working in, the easier it becomes to know instinctively.

Definitely try not to ever overwork any part of a sound or piece as then no matter what you do, it sounds off.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information