Making the most of the stereo field

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
RobC

24 Oct 2019

The best way seems to be using unique and spectacular methods for positioning.

Instead of just panning, for positioning we can use:

- High pass filtering on one channel (ideal for sounds that are dominant in the lower regions on the frequency spectrum)
- Low pass
- Panning with one channel's polarity inverted (results in a 'surround' effect, common in trackers ~ more suitable for sounds with higher frequency content, since they are easier to hear, even if they cancel out more in mono; it's better to be closer to the side than the center, so I'd suggest +/-50% panning minimum)
- Hard panning to one channel (you get a very interesting effect with a bassy sound, if you cut it below 80 Hz, and center the sub frequencies)
- Haas effect (it's better if the delayed channel is the same as where one sound is hard panned - this way you avoid that the effect interferes with the hard panned sound; I also suggest to use panning, instead of just making a dual mono effect; this is better for less transient sounds, OR make sure to add enough delay so that transients remain intact in mono)
- Front-back positioning Haas effect (duplicate your signal; invert the polarity of one channel; delay either the original, or the duplicate - it sounds like the sound is more forward, or backward ~ this probably can be panned. The effect disappears in mono, but with some signal feedback, I think this can be "solved" but weakens the stereo effect, and basically it's 100% mono compatible, so why change it? Shorter delays suggested, so it blends more, and the mono sound will still be less unusual)
- A modulated effect (can use any of the static effects above - perfect for SFX. Example: panning from left to right, then flipping the polarity of the other channel, and panning from right to left, flip the polarity again, repeat. This gives an interesting 360 degree rotation effect. Similar can be achieved with filtering effects.) - No need for simple LFO modulation, shapes can vary ~ this is the right time to get creative with it; it needs to stand out, so it won't wash with the other effects

The center is best kept for sub 80 Hz frequencies.
Other effects, such as changing a channel's pitch is less effective. I WOULD need 1 more unique effect though for my music (Kick, Snare, Hat, Poly Lead, Sustained 'evolving' Pad, Bass, SFX, Vocal)

I tried many other ways, from positioning sounds, all with added dual mono effect; 3D positioning; simple panning; fixed panning positions every 45 degrees - in the end, even if some sounded impressive with 1-2 sounds, a whole composition just gets crowded in the stereo field.

Again, so far, using unique effects for each sound, seems to be the most effective.

Loque

24 Oct 2019

I probably have some odyssey with stereo positioning behind me too :-D

I came to the conclusion, that i just want some simple GUI with a 3D field, where i can position an element (my audio) and than everything is done, including binaural stuff, filtering, EQing, reverb/convolution, panning and so on...

I know there are a few things out there, that try this but i did not liked them or they did not work in Reason properly and i could not try it.

Always wished, that someone would have created a RE for that...Maybe with some outboard processing for the EQ, Delay or Reverb...

And than, to make it even cooler, i can position elements with different materials in my 3D room :-D

Oh, and did i said, it should sound cool in simple STEREO and not 500 channel multi audio ambisurround stuff....
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
24 Oct 2019

I came to the conclusion, that i just want some simple GUI with a 3D field, where i can position an element (my audio) and than everything is done, including binaural stuff, filtering, EQing, reverb/convolution, panning and so on...

I know there are a few things out there, that try this but i did not liked them or they did not work in Reason properly and i could not try it.

Always wished, that someone would have created a RE for that...Maybe with some outboard processing for the EQ, Delay or Reverb...

And than, to make it even cooler, i can position elements with different materials in my 3D room :-D

Oh, and did i said, it should sound cool in simple STEREO and not 500 channel multi audio ambisurround stuff....
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -surround/
Like this?

Loque

24 Oct 2019

aeox wrote:
24 Oct 2019
Loque wrote:
24 Oct 2019

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -surround/
Like this?
Yea, i have it. It could have been pretty cool, but the sound is laggy if you modulate it - the pitching if it moves has too many artifacts. The idea is right, the product is not :-(

If you want to experiment with distance, you better try this (but its a VST):
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/proximity/
Reason12, Win10

RobC

24 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
24 Oct 2019

The problem with 3D effects are that the more sounds you add, the less interesting, and in fact, more crowded it gets.
With 1-2 sounds I was like "sounds so real". A few more, and: "wow, sounds like a band playing in a bedroom".
All my previous tries had limitations to them, because I was worried about what everyone else does. The "rules". Then I saw a comment under U2's Vertigo, which said that whoever mixed it, should never be allowed to do mixing again. Most people were very enthusiastic about the song, and apparently it was very popular.
I also saw another mix engineer's opinion. He did things differently than the norm, and was even yelled at for his "unprofessional" work. Yeah, in the end, that work of his turned out to be an award winning one.

So that's why I'm like screw the rules, gotta make it impressive, instead of 'normal/natural'. Of course, it needs careful engineering, but it's not so difficult.

Some other basic things are that since the "lower" sounds are more difficult to localize, they should be more far away from the center, as well as from one-other. So if a bass goes to the left, and sub 80 Hz content to the center, then I'd put a kick 50 % or so, to the right (where sub 80 Hz is also centered). This way it's far enough from the center sub; and also asymmetric with the bass. Symmetry is the other thing. A simple example, if a sine plays at the left side, and we put another to the right, we will hear the sound in the center. If the right one is panned 50% to the right, we'll hear it at -25%, to the left.

I just use stereo, too. 2 ears.

• Information