Deep Bass - how to?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ceedee71

15 Sep 2019

Hi community,

my question might be simple to answer, but I have no idea where to start.

The goal is to create a bass like the one in this song at 0:33

If I'd find a start of "how to make it", I would be able to refine it.
Who could help me with this one?

Kind regards,
Chris

selig
RE Developer

15 Sep 2019

"Deep" bass is almost always achieved by adding higher frequencies. In other words, creating the illusion of deep bass frequencies by using higher frequencies. There are many reasons this works, "missing fundamental" being at the core.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental

This is used more commonly by adding saturation to a sub tone to create harmonics that achieve two things; reinforcing the actual fundamental and supplying harmonics in a higher range that imply the fundamental even when it's not strong (mix is played on small speakers, for example).

I hear this in your example too, where the bass and guitar are both playing the same part in octaves in order to strengthen the part and also to provide more harmonic information that reinforces the fundamental.

Obviously you can take this too far, and create a sound that has so much upper harmonic energy that the actual fundamental is lost. And we are probably all familiar with thinking a single low sine wave should be all that's needed to create true deep bass (it's not). It's a tricky balancing act to get the final effect to work in your mix, which is one reason most mix engineers will say that low end is the trickiest part of a mix to get right. It's also why you need accurate monitoring, especially in the low end, to get these effects to translate.

But the key is to first understand there are many other parts of the frequency spectrum you need to address to achieve "deep" bass, and then to listen closely and try to understand and replicate the examples that you find to be the most effective.
Selig Audio, LLC

ceedee71

15 Sep 2019

First of all, THANK YOU for explaining this.
To be honest, I had to read it 2 times (and will have to do it again), to understand what you wrote. This is simply because it is very technical and english is not my native language :-)

But I see, that this is not just ONE effect. I need to analyze my song a create a sub bass that fits in.
Maybe it is easier to find someone who has the technical background and takes this part :-D

But at least I will try it with one of my new songs.

Greetings,
Chris

Mastrcode

20 Sep 2019

ceedee71 wrote:
15 Sep 2019
First of all, THANK YOU for explaining this.
To be honest, I had to read it 2 times (and will have to do it again), to understand what you wrote. This is simply because it is very technical and english is not my native language :-)

But I see, that this is not just ONE effect. I need to analyze my song a create a sub bass that fits in.
Maybe it is easier to find someone who has the technical background and takes this part :-D

But at least I will try it with one of my new songs.

Greetings,
Chris
I made an insert fx patch some time ago for exactly what Selig explained. Maybe this can help you. Just load it as an insert fx patch. You also can load it as a Combinator patch and connect that to your device. You can increase/decrease the amount of the effect by adjusting the Master control of the Scream device. You can also "finetune" the fundamental frequency of the "bass boost" by adjusting the freq control of the ECF-42.
Attachments
Bass Enhancer.zip
(977 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times

• Information