Auto-Crossfading Uses?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

Hi All!

Seeing as we're getting auto-crossfading in Reason 11, apart from the obvious "just crossfading two guitar audio parts", are there any other really creative uses for it or what will it bring to your current workflow?

For me personally, I currently can't think of anything I'd use it for, not to say I won't once I have it in my arsenal. Sometimes you have to try something to see how useful it is.

I usually just make sure my guitar parts are looping correctly without it and I do that pretty well with Reason.

I would love to hear how people who have used it in other daw's though find it useful.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Could have creative uses. We have a ton of super long FX samples in the FSB. Now that we have crossfading we can mix and match samples to create new textures. Then we can bounce the whole thing and throw it into Grain for more loveliness.

selig
RE Developer

29 Aug 2019

Not sure about "auto-crossfades", which is a specific feature I'm not sure Reason supports. But if I'm not mistaken you can add manual crossfades to all clips in a track at once by selecting all overlapping clips and dragging. But don't take this as gospel, I'm not 100% this is how it will work.

As for uses for crossfades - when you copy/paste audio from one section to another sometimes you need to crossfade to get a smooth edit (these are often short sub-100ms fades). With the previous Comp Mode limitation to adding crossfades, this was not a simple task as it is now. Now you simply add the crossfade to any overlapping clips, done.

There are also situations where you have an ambience track (musical or FX) that you need to loop, and this is where longer crossfades can come in handy.

When I'm doing extensive edits in other DAWs, the last thing I do is add short (10-15ms) crossfades to all edits, which is easy in a DAW such as PT. In most cases you simply hit command-F after selecting all clips/regions, and the default settings are used. Hoping it will be nearly as easy in Reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Could have creative uses. We have a ton of super long FX samples in the FSB. Now that we have crossfading we can mix and match samples to create new textures. Then we can bounce the whole thing and throw it into Grain for more loveliness.
:thumbs_up:

Creativemind

29 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Not sure about "auto-crossfades", which is a specific feature I'm not sure Reason supports. But if I'm not mistaken you can add manual crossfades to all clips in a track at once by selecting all overlapping clips and dragging. But don't take this as gospel, I'm not 100% this is how it will work.

As for uses for crossfades - when you copy/paste audio from one section to another sometimes you need to crossfade to get a smooth edit (these are often short sub-100ms fades). With the previous Comp Mode limitation to adding crossfades, this was not a simple task as it is now. Now you simply add the crossfade to any overlapping clips, done.

There are also situations where you have an ambience track (musical or FX) that you need to loop, and this is where longer crossfades can come in handy.

When I'm doing extensive edits in other DAWs, the last thing I do is add short (10-15ms) crossfades to all edits, which is easy in a DAW such as PT. In most cases you simply hit command-F after selecting all clips/regions, and the default settings are used. Hoping it will be nearly as easy in Reason.
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to trying it out.

boingy

29 Aug 2019

Yeah, I think previously you had to drag a clip on top of another one and use comp mode to do crossfades. Actually, what you had to do was seek out a video showing you how to do crossfades!

• Information