Other methods of sliding 808

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 112
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 20 Aug 2019

Hey :reason: ,

Besides NN-XT by increasing the Portamento, is there other methods of sliding an 808? Are there other racks that have the feature of sliding 808?

:thumbup:
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

User avatar
w1pl0c
Posts: 53
Joined: 10 Oct 2017

Post 20 Aug 2019

Pitch Bend automation is a great way to maintain control
Reason, Focusrite Sapphire Pro14, SP-404-sx, TR-8 :reason:
https://soundcloud.com/w1pl0c

User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 112
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 21 Aug 2019

w1pl0c wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Pitch Bend automation is a great way to maintain control
Hi w1pl0c, can you please illustrate that with a screenshot or a tutorial from YT? How does that look like in the sequencer?
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

User avatar
reasonsuser88
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Apr 2019

Post 21 Aug 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
21 Aug 2019
w1pl0c wrote:
20 Aug 2019
Pitch Bend automation is a great way to maintain control
Hi w1pl0c, can you please illustrate that with a screenshot or a tutorial from YT? How does that look like in the sequencer?
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1518
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Aug 2019

Try Polar or Grain for experimental ideas.
Last edited by Jagwah on 22 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2312
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Aug 2019

Portamento is really the main way. That's where the glide comes from. Any reason you don't want to use portamento?

User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 112
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 22 Aug 2019

QVprod wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Portamento is really the main way. That's where the glide comes from. Any reason you don't want to use portamento?
I don't really feel it like sliding in FL Studio as I came to Reason from this DAW. In FL all you have to do is to activate Legato Slide option and you are good to go (as in screenshot below). In NN-XT, I can't figure out the best portamento settings to get the same effect of sliding as in FL.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, if that is the case then I would like to know how the other producers are doing it in Reason.

Image
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 22 Aug 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
22 Aug 2019
QVprod wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Portamento is really the main way. That's where the glide comes from. Any reason you don't want to use portamento?
I don't really feel it like sliding in FL Studio as I came to Reason from this DAW. In FL all you have to do is to activate Legato Slide option and you are good to go (as in screenshot below). In NN-XT, I can't figure out the best portamento settings to get the same effect of sliding as in FL.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, if that is the case then I would like to know how the other producers are doing it in Reason.

Image
You are not doing something wrong at all. I love the sliding in FL studio for 808s as well and unfortunately you can't replicate the same effect in Reason. My method is a hit-or-miss where I enable portamento and try different high pitched- notes until I find the one that sounds both right and harmonic. If I don't I try another 808.

But yeah, FL Studio is a beast at that :thumbs_up:

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2312
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
22 Aug 2019
QVprod wrote:
21 Aug 2019
Portamento is really the main way. That's where the glide comes from. Any reason you don't want to use portamento?
I don't really feel it like sliding in FL Studio as I came to Reason from this DAW. In FL all you have to do is to activate Legato Slide option and you are good to go (as in screenshot below). In NN-XT, I can't figure out the best portamento settings to get the same effect of sliding as in FL.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, if that is the case then I would like to know how the other producers are doing it in Reason.

Image
Got it, yeah portamento can sound different one instrument to another. You can try using Grain. Not sure if the portamento is different, but I prefer Grain to NNXT for 808s.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1044
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 22 Aug 2019

These setting might help you for NN-XT:

User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 112
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 23 Aug 2019

Okay, thank you guys. So I was not wrong about FL having so far the best 808 sliding option. I will give grain a try, also I found this on YT, perhaps it could be helpful for some people as well.

:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 23 Aug 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
23 Aug 2019
Okay, thank you guys. So I was not wrong about FL having so far the best 808 sliding option. I will give grain a try, also I found this on YT, perhaps it could be helpful for some people as well.

Yes forgot to tell you about this method. But again, even this method unfortunately, Reason is way behind compared to FL and Ableton. They both have this option with far more controls.

If you're into Future Beats,. Phonk, Trap, Reason is perhaps the least option I'd suggest to you. FL and Ableton are far superior.

Just like the link you sent to make longer 808s, this tut shows you how to do it on FL like a Phonk artist called Kloudbug. And, sonically, it just sounds much better.


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests