What video tutorials have helped you tremendously?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
peterk426

24 Jun 2019

Hello, So back a few years ago I used to watch the Boyinaband 7 day songs by dave, which he uses reason 4/5/6 to make 7 day songs and only reason. I'm trying to expand a bit more on more tutorials like this on Reason. I feel like I know a lot but I want to learn more about Europa and grain, even though i've watched the propellerhead videos on these but what i'd like to know is " Which videos have helped you tremendously when trying to make big sounds in reason?" I guess this is such a broad question i'm going to have to elaborate more:
This can be anything, how did you make your sound bigger? I usually layer my kicks and snares then compress and EQ and throw in some reverb on my snare.

The one thing I always hear Dubstep producers say is "Make a sound, layer it, mix it, layer it, make a new sound, layer it" i've always been kind of confused with this process, if theres anyone who has any videos that better explains this please share! And please share any other videos. I'm not a newbie with reason but im not Expert, i'm like somewhere in between :)

rgdaniel

24 Jun 2019

josiah

24 Jun 2019

I don't think making big sounds is any different in Reason than any other DAW, so you could check out the Point Blank Music School's videos on tracks you like (either with the artist deconstruction, or the recreation from scratch). FACT Magazine's "How to Make a" series also seems up your alley. Propellerhead official videos are still the best on the internet in my opinion, especially back around the time Record came out. You should watch all of them. For big sound you basically just want lots of parts heavily EQd (you want every frequency covered and you don't want any one frequency constantly triggering the compressor) , heavily compressed, widened and limited. Going in for some iZotope plugins can help too if you find doing it all by hand tedious. Well it's not quite the machine learning miracle the sales videos might make you believe, it can give pretty quick results (though you might find it more interesting to do with 100 or so MClass plugins, everyone is different :D)

Loque

24 Jun 2019

The PH stuff and Hydlide. Thanks a lot for this. Than i found Reasontalk...

Later i often read technical details in articles or watched other videos.

Beside videos while starting with Reason, i closed the door for 3 days and played around with the synths and CV until my head was bleeding. After that i could better understand lots of videos and tutorials in general.
Reason12, Win10

O1B

24 Jun 2019

0:25 - Medium Brush. Criss-Cross Strokes.
0:45 - Blending. Fun! Play! Get BOLD.
2:00 - Blend... and, consider leaving some Sheen.
3:00 Tools and Tones Matter. But, don't get OCD about it.
3;45 Think like a ******. Have a Good Time. Be calm. Peaceful. Enjoy the Good Feelings.

4:39 - Practice! - until you 'don't have to think about it
4:50 - Compositon and Effects AFTER! vs How do I Load this and that...?
Practice!

5:15 - Sometimes you just USE the CORNER of the Tool.
5:40 - Blend - but don't overdo - but if it does, JUST start over.
Fluff them up!

7:00 ROUND BRUSH
7:01 Start at the Bottom and Brush Up will create Shadows/ Lighter vs Darker areas.
7:30 Make a Decision. How many TREES do YOU want. That's how many there should be.

8:15 - Sometimes YOU have to TAP quite FIRM
8:35 - Fixing, Correction is Important.

9:00 Sometimes, you need a Sharpened Tool.

You can tae your own notes for the final 18 minutes, if this helps.

mjxl

25 Jun 2019

I've watched so much of Hydlide's videos last couple of years that cv feels like a natural thing instead of an extra thing on top of other things that i need to learn.
He's made so many great videos with various random creations, it's mental really.

Also Props' own channel put a lot of stuff in my knowledge bank.

And "PROPS" to that Bob Ross video lol.

motuscott

25 Jun 2019

James Bernard's weekly series. Can you imagine making a video a week for a year? It would have killed me, luckily JB is made of sterner stuff.

Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

peterk426

25 Jun 2019

Thanks for all the answers! They are all amazing!

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2019

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2019

Karim wrote:
26 Jun 2019
That's a nice one. I even learned something completely new from the video - that you can right click on an audio jack of a device to route it somewhere else with the help of a dropdown menu. How many times have I dragged a damn cable across my whole project, only to missclick and lose the cable from my cursor?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

26 Jun 2019

The best tutorial videos are the ones that include one of these phrases in the title: "one minute tips" or "two minute tips".

I get frustrated with searching through 20 minutes of tutorial for the money shot. I don't need to know your name, or the name of your channel, or that I can follow you, or how to open the edit menu, or how to set a keyboard shortcut. I need to know how to press that little button that I had not noticed or how to click and drag something to that area you did not know you could drag to.

So many videos are just so SLOOOWWWW to get to the point.

/rant

josiah

26 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Jun 2019
The best tutorial videos are the ones that include one of these phrases in the title like "one minute tips" or "two minute tips".

I get frustrated with searching through 20 minutes of tutorial for the money shot. I don't need to know your name, or the name of your channel, or that I can follow you, or how to open the edit menu, or how to set a keyboard shortcut. I need to know how to press that little button that I had not noticed or how to click and drag something to that area you did not know you could drag to.

/rant
:D

boingy

26 Jun 2019

josiah wrote:
26 Jun 2019
boingy wrote:
26 Jun 2019
The best tutorial videos are the ones that include one of these phrases in the title like "one minute tips" or "two minute tips".

/rant
:D
Aw man. Edited down to a 30 second tip. Bummer. :o

• Information