How to get optimum level in the waze paz analyser with out clipping the master out

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
PrivatePartsUK

23 May 2019

Hey Reasoners,

Hope you are all enjoying the latest version, i can safely say im having a lot fo fun, hope you are to.

I wanted to ask you how do i get a signal flow that doesnt effect an optimum level i am trying to achieve please.

Let me explain, in the waves paz analyser i want to achieve -3 so i raise my main elements like the bass and snare and somewhat the kick to -3 but whats happening is that then the paz is running hot as is the master output...yes i can lower the master out but those channels are still running hot.

How do i achieve -3 optimum level in paz analyser without my bass and drums in the red on master out? When it comes to the master stage thats when i will push the whole track...so i want things sitting with plenty of head room while hitting optimum level please in the paz without it clipping?

Do i have to create some kind of pre mix fader channel or something if so how do i do this please.

Looking forward to hearing from you all, any help would be great and any links to videos please.

Many thanks.

selig
RE Developer

23 May 2019

Not sure I follow, Paz is a meter to show you levels. Not sure what you mean by -3 (- dBFS?) but levels that hot on individual channels will likely add up to clipping on the master, no way around it in most cases (unless you only have 1-2 tracks total).

I suggest using -12 dBFS as your target peak level for all individual tracks/channels in your mix, and PAZ is a good way to spot check levels at various points in the signal path to be sure they are at your chosen target.

Maybe you could explain your reasoning for choosing the -3 level, and your question may make more sense to me (or maybe it’s just me!).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

nooomy

23 May 2019

PrivatePartsUK wrote:
23 May 2019
Hey Reasoners,

Hope you are all enjoying the latest version, i can safely say im having a lot fo fun, hope you are to.

I wanted to ask you how do i get a signal flow that doesnt effect an optimum level i am trying to achieve please.

Let me explain, in the waves paz analyser i want to achieve -3 so i raise my main elements like the bass and snare and somewhat the kick to -3 but whats happening is that then the paz is running hot as is the master output...yes i can lower the master out but those channels are still running hot.

How do i achieve -3 optimum level in paz analyser without my bass and drums in the red on master out? When it comes to the master stage thats when i will push the whole track...so i want things sitting with plenty of head room while hitting optimum level please in the paz without it clipping?

Do i have to create some kind of pre mix fader channel or something if so how do i do this please.

Looking forward to hearing from you all, any help would be great and any links to videos please.

Many thanks.
As long as you are not using any analog effects and gear you don't have to care what peak db you got as long as you don't go above -0db. Headroom is a word from when people were mixing on analog gear, it's none relevant in a DAW

selig
RE Developer

24 May 2019

nooomy wrote:
23 May 2019

As long as you are not using any analog effects and gear you don't have to care what peak db you got as long as you don't go above -0db. Headroom is a word from when people were mixing on analog gear, it's none relevant in a DAW
Wait, what? Headroom is just as important in digital audio as analog. The fact you say you cannot go above 0 dBFS indicates headroom is still valid. What’s also true is you cannot clip within Reason (or any floating point system). But even then, you must pay attention to nominal levels for non-linear effects such as dynamics/saturation etc. In other words, in a floating point system with such wide headroom it’s entirely possible to have so much level as to not be able to dial in a subtle amount of dynamics or saturation. Equally possible to have so little level as to never get above the threshold and not hear ANY effect.

And since the current delivery format is fixed point, headroom is still a major concern IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

nooomy

24 May 2019

selig wrote:
24 May 2019
nooomy wrote:
23 May 2019

Wait, what? Headroom is just as important in digital audio as analog. The fact you say you cannot go above 0 dBFS indicates headroom is still valid. What’s also true is you cannot clip within Reason (or any floating point system). But even then, you must pay attention to nominal levels for non-linear effects such as dynamics/saturation etc. In other words, in a floating point system with such wide headroom it’s entirely possible to have so much level as to not be able to dial in a subtle amount of dynamics or saturation. Equally possible to have so little level as to never get above the threshold and not hear ANY effect.

And since the current delivery format is fixed point, headroom is still a major concern IMO.
True! But some people like to run shit hot and producer better at hotter levels. That’s why I think you shouldn’t mix at a sertain -dB, you should mix at the level where you are the most inspired and productive aslong as it doesn’t go above 0db.

although some people like digital dist on their mixes. You can get some wacky effects when you digital dist the master

PrivatePartsUK

25 May 2019

Thanks guys 👊🏽

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2019

nooomy wrote:
24 May 2019
selig wrote:
24 May 2019

True! But some people like to run shit hot and producer better at hotter levels. That’s why I think you shouldn’t mix at a sertain -dB, you should mix at the level where you are the most inspired and productive aslong as it doesn’t go above 0db.

although some people like digital dist on their mixes. You can get some wacky effects when you digital dist the master
Yes, but wasn't your point was about headroom not being an issue in Reason, which means when you "run shit hot" it sounds exactly the same as when you don't, no?

And don't those "hot" guys also "mix at a certain -dB level" too, just a hotter one? That's what I've long advocated: finding the level for your tracks that works for YOUR workflow, because having a consistent level simplifies your workflow - and as musicians (rather than professional mix engineers) it's still all about the music first, and the mix second (though of course both are important).
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information