Best way to apply automation on one single effect and different tracks?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
reddust

01 Apr 2019

Hi,

I'm working on a song and wanted to apply one effect to almost every track in a concrete point of my song.

My first try was trying to apply the effect on the master track in some way and see if I could bypass these tracks out of the effect bus, but couldn't get that done.

So I changed my tactic and applied the effect as a send effect inside the master rack so I can switch it on and off using automation for the tracks I want to be processed.

That seemed to be the right idea but when I do this I always get the sound of the unprocessed track together with the processed sound, so I tried to use the previous setting on the effect, which actually works but only if I turn down the volume on the fader and use the processed volume in the mixer, which is not a good solution because if I do so I cannot use the fader to do the final mix at a later point as well as it might be a bad idea if I decide to apply some other send effects in the master rack at a later point.

Am I missing something? Is there any trick using parallel processing or making some changes in the signal path at the top of the mixer or some other technique I don't know of?

Thanks in advance

ScuzzyEye

02 Apr 2019

Bus all the channels you want the effect on a single bus, and add the effect as a insert there. If its On/Bypass switch isn't smooth enough, and it doesn't have own dry/wet control, use the the Morfin XF Crossfader to cross-fade between the dry and wet signals.

Zac

02 Apr 2019

There is a way to do this.

Create a buss and route all the tracks you want affected to this buss.

Then go to the factory sound bank > all effects > utilities ... there is a combinator in there called 'key' something or other, can't quite remember... you don't want the M/S key, just the normal one.

Create this combinator and connect it to the buss inserts.

When you open the Combinator you'll see an MClass EQ .... just replace this (drag n drop to keep routing) with whatever effect you want to use.

One of the Combinators buttons is labelled 'key in' or something. You can now automate this so the effect is only keyed/punched in at the time you desire.

Not in front of pc now so sorry it's a bit vague.

reddust

03 Apr 2019

Nice, thanks for the tipps, I'm going to try them right now :)

• Information