Frippertronics

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Trefor

31 Mar 2019

I'm looking for suggestions/tutorials on how to get started with live looping in Reason. The type of effect I'm looking to get is in the video. Often known as Frippertronics but also called a "Time Lag Accumulator" by Terry Riley many years before. I'm interested in trying to get this effect without using any outboard gear (apart from a guitar), just Reason.

moneykube

31 Mar 2019

:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: yes please :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Jackjackdaw

31 Mar 2019

I'm not sure about 'just in Reason' but Enzo by Audio Damage has a specific mode for Frippertronics. Check it out.

Trefor

31 Mar 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
31 Mar 2019
I'm not sure about 'just in Reason' but Enzo by Audio Damage has a specific mode for Frippertronics. Check it out.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

WongoTheSane

31 Mar 2019

Isn't it just a long delay with a high feedback, like 95%? FWIW, Titus' delay line can go up to 8 seconds, and Steerpike can go up to 48 seconds by chaining its six delay lines. You can also get the tape/vintage sound by using the break-outs to add some tape emulation in the feedback chain.

I've used this system to create randomized housey pads. Here's the vid:

Trefor

31 Mar 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
31 Mar 2019
Isn't it just a long delay with a high feedback, like 95%? FWIW, Titus' delay line can go up to 8 seconds, and Steerpike can go up to 48 seconds by chaining its six delay lines. You can also get the tape/vintage sound by using the break-outs to add some tape emulation in the feedback chain.

I've used this system to create randomized housey pads. Here's the vid:

Thanks Wongo. That's the kind of thing I've been playing around with so far using khs Delay and an RV7000 mkII set with long tails. I'm getting some interesting results but I think I have to keep working on it. I'll check out steerpike.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 1.26.37 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 1.26.37 pm.png (924.84 KiB) Viewed 958 times

WongoTheSane

01 Apr 2019

You should be set with that. The secret, in the end, is to record everything, whatever you're doing. Fumble for an hour, and suddenly you stumble on something beautiful. Delete the previous 59 minutes and keep the good bit!

What's your experience of Nebula, is it any good?

Trefor

01 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
01 Apr 2019
You should be set with that. The secret, in the end, is to record everything, whatever you're doing. Fumble for an hour, and suddenly you stumble on something beautiful. Delete the previous 59 minutes and keep the good bit!

What's your experience of Nebula, is it any good?
Yes, definitely making sure that I record everything so that I can take the bits that work and use them later. I think that Nebula has some useful features and enables you to blend LFO, delay, chorus and flanger effects all together in varying proportions or use each as a standalone effect. I've only just started playing around with it but it's certainly interesting. I think i picked it up for free a little while back but it's £3.95 on the Soundspot website at the moment. https://www.soundspot.audio

WongoTheSane

02 Apr 2019

I'm going to check the videos, thanks!

• Information