Edirol M16-DX as Control Surface

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeneendo

24 Jan 2019

Since I found very little info on this, I want to share how I set up my Edirol M16-DX mixer as a control surface in Reason 10.

In order to use the DAW control feature, set your mixer's settings to DAW Control = ON (obvious) and Mode = EXC. When you switch to DAW Control mode now (press USB button until it blinks), all the buttons that can be used for remote control light up.

Next, in Reason, enter the Preferences menu and select Control Surface. Choose "Mackie Control" when selecting a preset. This will enable all volume faders, mute/solo/select buttons and the EQ and FX dials to send data which you can then remote "learn" to control any compatible dials or buttons in Reason.

Enjoy.

dioxide

24 Jan 2019

Does it work as a MIDI controller? I found this on Sound On Sound website:

"Given that the M16DX is a computer interface as well as a mixer, I was half-expecting to find that its knobs and buttons could send control data, allowing it to function as a control surface too, but there are no mixer templates relating to Sonar (or any other sequencer), no MIDI, and no software program for remotely editing aspects of the hardware setup. It's a shame, but perhaps understandable considering the retail price."

deeneendo

24 Jan 2019

Version 2.0 of the firmware added DAW control funtionalities. It really is a very versatile piece of equipment: Live mixer, DAW controller, audio interface with 18 Inputs, 2 Outs, I really can't understand why Edirol other manufacturers never made any follow up products.

Here is a link to some information and workshops:

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... documents/

dioxide

24 Jan 2019

Very good. Looks like a good controller.

deeneendo

24 Jan 2019

at 270€ for a pristine, used condition, it certainly is the best
:mrgreen:

• Information