Panning Stereo acoustic Guitar?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Reasonable man

16 Jan 2019

I'm using a-list acoustic guitarist (as i have a shite mic and an even worse guitar!)

I want to get some movement in the acoustic guitar with panning . A-list has a doubling effect button which i can use but i still want some stereo movement so i have doubled the acoustic guitar track and experimented with panning hard left/right etc ., aslo with panning on just one of the tracks and static on the other but it;s too noticable and abrasive and there is a noticeable rise and drop in volume on one side while there is an increase in volume on the side while the guitar is panned temporarily to that side. I am using/trying a randon lfo (synced) for this.

Can anyone who records live mic'ed acoustics or who succesfully uses a-list acoustic guitar tell me how i might get this acoustic guitar sound which is on the streets song Dry your eyes. There is subltle panning here but without noticeable volume changes and im pretty sure the guitar is double tracked. How might i practically achieve this in reason...any ideas? Thanks....p.s the strum is quite similar to the one in this song

Zac

17 Jan 2019

Since no one else had replied. I don't think using the doubling on the device and then panning is a good idea.

I didn’t listen to your example but if you want panning and some stereo width maybe use a chorus to widen and then automate that along with some panning??

Loque

18 Jan 2019

I here different melodies on each side which play together creating the full melody. And there might be some echo on the other side.
Reason12, Win10

Reasonable man

18 Jan 2019

Thanks lads appreciate the input. Its a collaboration project i have to do and i thought i'd get away wuth using a-list acoustic guitarist but now i'm not so sure so i've asked the guy to bring his guitar and record it i just have to borrow a condensor mic (or two) for the day!

I have stumbled across a similiar result using fabfilter timeless and using a different delay time on left and right channels which is as close as i can get ..but its very monotonous .. the song i posted sounds as if it has a nice randomness to the panning.
Anyway yea i think i'll ask him to maybe record single strums per bar as well and perhaps a seconday strum to help try and achieve this ( i love the way the acoustic is mixed on this song) .
Any other advice anyone can give me .fire away as i wont get another chance to re-record the guitar.. Thanks.

Loque

18 Jan 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
18 Jan 2019
Thanks lads appreciate the input. Its a collaboration project i have to do and i thought i'd get away wuth using a-list acoustic guitarist but now i'm not so sure so i've asked the guy to bring his guitar and record it i just have to borrow a condensor mic (or two) for the day!
This is the best thing you can do and probably the most fun thing!
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

18 Jan 2019

It just sounds like two guitar tracks, sometimes doubling, many times playing off each other. Since I suck at acoustic but still sometimes try to play parts, I often end up with doubles like this by accident (as I'm not able to always play the same thing twice!). But I also end up with sonic gold, because I often have to play each chord on it's own, doing one track with the odd numbered chords (1st chord, 3rd chord, 5th chord, etc.), and the second track with the even chords (2nd chord, 4th chord, 6th chord, etc.). The results when panned can be far more interesting then if someone with actual skills played the parts!

To reproduce this with A-List, use two instruments (no doubling) and choose different patterns for each. You may have to experiment to find patterns that complement each other nicely.

If you want to reverse engineer the example song, import into Reason and mute one channel at a time to figure out what each part/channel plays on its own. Should give you some insight into how to create something that creates a similar effect.
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jan 2019

try this wonderful AMBEO Orbit free binaural plugin which can add superb depth:

https://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/ambeo-blueprints-downloads

Reasonable man

19 Jan 2019

Yea i'll give recording it a whirl . Lucky enough to have 2 at4040'sfor a day so gonna try a stereo recording. Wtched the Ryan Harlin video on acoustic guitars so i have a chance to try out the old 3-1 micng distance rule!

Reasonable man

19 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
18 Jan 2019
try this wonderful AMBEO Orbit free binaural plugin which can add superb depth:

https://nl-nl.sennheiser.com/ambeo-blueprints-downloads
Thanks . This looks great.

• Information