Looking for constructive criticism

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Baylo

02 Jan 2019

Hi,

I'm posting on behalf of my teenage son, who recently posted a (instrumental) cover version of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters on YouTube: https://youtu.be/IEMGIPLIlD0

It's his second attempt at recording/mixing his work, he's using Reason exclusively to record his guitars and drums (line in from amp/drum module), and he'd like to get better. The amount of advice out there is overwhelming for a beginner and common suggestions like "compare it to the pieces you want it to sound like" unfortunately aren't too helpful when you don't know the cause of - or solution to - the differences that you can hear.

So, in the spirit of 'you have to start somewhere' and ignoring issues of musicianship (that's why we have guitar lessons!), I'd like to ask the community here what would be the *top one or two things* you might advise my son to change or do differently in the mix next time?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Mark

guitfnky

02 Jan 2019

I’m guessing since he’s active on youtube, he’s probably aware there are a lot of great videos on recording/mixing techniques. one of my favorites is Joe Gilder’s Home Studio Corner channel. there are a ton though, so it won’t be hard to find one or two he likes that he can subscribe to.

and get him a copy of Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio, by Mike Senior. it’s a thorough, excellent primer that goes into detail on pretty much every important recording-related topic, from studio setup, and speaker selection to EQ, and compression, etc. it’s around 300 pages, but does a really good job of breaking up all the daunting areas involved into easily-understood advice.

most importantly, be patient. like any skill, it takes a long time to get good at recording and audio production.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

02 Jan 2019

Plus one for Mike Senior. Wonderful teacher.
also marijuana...
Did I say that?

There was some very constructive criticism on YT. You got the chops man. The sooner you start writing your own stuff and making songs out of your fuck ups, the closer you'll be to the artists you admire. They're not gods or geniuses, they're folks just like you.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Baylo

03 Jan 2019

Thank you both for your thoughts and recommendations. Very much appreciated.

• Information