Tempo Sync of an Audio Clip

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Creativemind

02 Jan 2019

Hi All!

So what are people's methods here for getting samples on their tracks (that they've added mid-way through) in time with the track accurately?

I'm just tryna get a vocal acapella in time with the track. I've used pitch correction to get it in key, that worked out well.

Thanks!

EDIT - It'd make life so much easier if they added 'Tempo Detect' of audio and 'Fit to Tempo' like FL Studio in Reason.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2019

Tempo detection is pretty unreliable on anything without drums.

Use the "tap" button to figure out a vocals bpm

Exowildebeest

02 Jan 2019

This is an area of Reason that's fairly opaque, in my opinion. The stretching sounds great, but the ways the user interacts with it is... well opaque is my word of choice because I like the word :lol:

Any audio you import on the timeline gets 'tagged' with the current tempo you have set in your project and remains unstretched and unaltered, but stretch is enabled and it will stretch if you change the tempo. The exceptions to this are samples that are already tagged with a tempo, done by Reason when exporting, and this only goes for files exported by Reason, as far as I know - in that case they get stretched from that original tagged tempo to the tempo of your project when you import them.

If you have an acapella, one approach is to import it on an audio track, disable stretch on the clip, enable the metronome/play a beat and start adjusting the project tempo until the acapella hits the right beats. Now delete the audio clip and re-import it. It'll now get tagged (the audio clip in the project, not the file itself, you'll have to re-export for that) with the tempo you found and have your project set to, and this'll be its original tempo from where it will stretch, as you return your project to the tempo you had intended for your song. You can fine tune the stretch by dragging the edges of the audio clip by holding Ctrl.

But syncing acapella's of unknown tempo is a much more difficult case than say, drum beats. There's less transients to detect, there's imperfect or artistic timing, sometimes long silences. Whether manual or algorithm in a DAW, there will always be times when it's a struggle :) (but that's coming from someone with very limited experience in working with syncing acapella's, so what the hell do I know - I'm sure others here have plenty of other, better advice!)

Creativemind

02 Jan 2019

Exowildebeest wrote:
02 Jan 2019
This is an area of Reason that's fairly opaque, in my opinion. The stretching sounds great, but the ways the user interacts with it is... well opaque is my word of choice because I like the word :lol:

Any audio you import on the timeline gets 'tagged' with the current tempo you have set in your project and remains unstretched and unaltered, but stretch is enabled and it will stretch if you change the tempo. The exceptions to this are samples that are already tagged with a tempo, done by Reason when exporting, and this only goes for files exported by Reason, as far as I know - in that case they get stretched from that original tagged tempo to the tempo of your project when you import them.

If you have an acapella, one approach is to import it on an audio track, disable stretch on the clip, enable the metronome/play a beat and start adjusting the project tempo until the acapella hits the right beats. Now delete the audio clip and re-import it. It'll now get tagged (the audio clip in the project, not the file itself, you'll have to re-export for that) with the tempo you found and have your project set to, and this'll be its original tempo from where it will stretch, as you return your project to the tempo you had intended for your song. You can fine tune the stretch by dragging the edges of the audio clip by holding Ctrl.

But syncing acapella's of unknown tempo is a much more difficult case than say, drum beats. There's less transients to detect, there's imperfect or artistic timing, sometimes long silences. Whether manual or algorithm in a DAW, there will always be times when it's a struggle :) (but that's coming from someone with very limited experience in working with syncing acapella's, so what the hell do I know - I'm sure others here have plenty of other, better advice!)
Thanks! will give that a go. I get the feeling the audio clip needs multiple chops and syncing each one as some parts are in time some aren't.

As for the other poster, fit to tempo in FL Studio doesn't work every time but in a large proportion of cases it does.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Exowildebeest wrote:
02 Jan 2019

Thanks! will give that a go. I get the feeling the audio clip needs multiple chops and syncing each one as some parts are in time some aren't.

As for the other poster, fit to tempo in FL Studio doesn't work every time but in a large proportion of cases it does.
Can I hear it?

Creativemind

02 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Creativemind wrote:
02 Jan 2019

Can I hear it?
You want my acapella? or to hear what FL Studio has done to it?

If anyone fancies trying to get the acapella in time at 125bpm for me if I send it them I'd be grateful.
Last edited by Creativemind on 02 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
02 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
02 Jan 2019

Can I hear it?
Just the acapella

Creativemind

03 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Creativemind wrote:
02 Jan 2019

Just the acapella
You want me send it to you?

If so, PM me your dropbox please.

• Information