Scrap hi freq percussion?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Zac

11 Dec 2018

In the example song i posted in the stock music thread in the general forum, that song with 1400+ purchases, there's only the hint of a hi perc line. It's barely there. No rhythm maker for sure.

And because of that the synth filters are wide open... the spectrum does NOT obey the pink noise rule. It's almost flat upto about 15khz!

And the synths sound great for it. Duck the low beats and hey-ho happy days.

If you have traditional levels of hihats etc even with ducking you just can't get synths wide open like that .... it just swamps the hihats or makes the synths sound crap.

So I'm going to experiment and see if i can ditch more hi percs.

minilog

13 Dec 2018

I find this to be the case with popular music as well. It's a shame I like a full range of percussion so much but I guess that's one reason I belong in techno.

selig
RE Developer

13 Dec 2018

Zac wrote:
11 Dec 2018
In the example song i posted in the stock music thread in the general forum, that song with 1400+ purchases, there's only the hint of a hi perc line. It's barely there. No rhythm maker for sure.

And because of that the synth filters are wide open... the spectrum does NOT obey the pink noise rule. It's almost flat upto about 15khz!

And the synths sound great for it. Duck the low beats and hey-ho happy days.

If you have traditional levels of hihats etc even with ducking you just can't get synths wide open like that .... it just swamps the hihats or makes the synths sound crap.

So I'm going to experiment and see if i can ditch more hi percs.
I blame Peter Gabriel, who famously ditched all cymbals for his third (and fourth?) album to make room for other elements. Others have done similar:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/sounding-1
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... ls.289060/
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information